Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-01-2013, 07:48 PM   #1 
Tree

Please help: A problem with Ammonia

So I have two 3 gallon tanks and two bettas. One right now is in a QT because of fin rot and the other seems to be having red rubs marks on his face. Could that be an indication of fin rot as well on him? he swims back and forth the tank a lot like he is stressed.

Another question that I have is, I check the PH levels every day and it seems like I need to do a 50% change everyday to keep it normal because of the ammonia. Is that normal to do a change that much? or am I just a worry wort and everything is fine?

thanks so much,
Tree/Theresa
Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:29 PM   #2 
808bettalover

no it is not normal

no it is not normal to do changes that often so you should get anti ammonia serum and put it in as instructed every time you clean the tanks and you should gt test strips so that you can test the water in the tank to check the ammonia level and other toxic water levels, you can get them at petco for probably about $11, i hope that this helps and i hope that your fish will get better
808bettalover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:04 PM   #3 
Tree

Thank you <3

Thanks so much! I will go tomorrow to get them. I have checked online and a lot of people say that 7.6 on the PH test is ok for Bettas. When I do a 50% change, the Level goes back to normal 7.0, but the next day it is back to 7.6.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:25 AM   #4 
Hallyx
Reference Team

What is the pH of your tapwater? It is normal for it to change after putting it in the tank. Do not mess with your pH.

If you're tank is not filtered, you should be checking the water with a liquid test kit, especially for ammonia. Liquid testing is more accurate than strips. You should change 50% of the water whenever ammonia gets above 0.25ppm.

Get Prime water conditioner by Seachem. This product detoxifies ammonia as well as dealing with chlorine in your tapwater.

What size tanks are we talking about here?
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 04:54 PM   #5 
FirstBetta

Listen to Hallyx. I have both types of test kits. I use the strips for gross checks to see if the params have shifted since the last test, if in doubt I always fall back on the liquid tests. the liquid test is always the determining factor.
FirstBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 05:19 PM   #6 
ANHEL123

everything + to what Hallyx wrote. Don't worry about pH bettas are very adjustable to it. Some people have even 8. You do not want to mess with it so do not use anything to bring it down. The fluctuation can get them sick.

Also you have 2 bettas in 3 gall tank? That is might you have high ammonia. You have 3 gall tank which you need to do 2-50 % and 1-100% water change for one betta . Since oyu have 2 bettas in 3 gall tank then you need to do 50% probobly daily with one full water change a week.

Go to pet store and bring the sample of your water and let them check it for ammonia. You might have ammonia in your tap water. They will check your tap water for free. Just let them tell you actual readings .

Prime is the best if you have ammonia in the water . Prime convert the ammonia to ammonium which is less dangerous. But its keeps it for 48 hrs so you might need to do water changes 50% every 2-3 days or you can add 2 extra drops on day 2 or 3 if ammonia will go up.

So try to buy or order on line Prime by Seachem
http://www.wag.com/fish/p/seachem-prime-113346?site=CA&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc_W& utm_term=SCM-003&utm_campaign=GooglePLA&CAWELAID=1323901033&utm _content=pla&ca_sku=SCM-003&ca_gpa=pla&ca_kw={keyword}

You saying one in the hospital tank. I would not put him back . Try to buy another tank for him. Even 2.5 gall would be enough.

And what are you using to treat fin rot. Are you sure its a fin rot and tail biting.
How long you have them?
Can you post the pictures or videos?
Fin rot is dark , discolored,''smudged edges .
How they acting? Are they still eating and active?
You saying they swim like crazy and the second betta has red rubs marks on his face. Give us more details .

Is it look like they darting , trying to rub on objects, any of them has white spots looks like they sprinkle with salt. Any other behavior symptoms
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:09 PM   #7 
Tree

Hope I answered all you're questions. ^^;

I have two 3 gallon tanks that each have one Betta, a snail and two moss balls. I went and bought an Ammonia test kit (drops) and it seems that my one betta's tank had the reading of 1.0 so I did a 50% changed and it seems to be back to 0. should I check it tomorrow and see if it changes quickly? the other tank is perfect only because my other batta is being treated for fin rot in another tank when I bought him at the store.

I don't use my tap water I buy pure drinking water for my two bettas at a food store that I fill up with recycled bottles. though I might want to stare changing their water because it is getting too pricy for two 3 gallon tanks to keep refilling. when I do change the pure to tap should I do a 50-50 on it?

I don't have PH up or down, I just have been doing a 50% water change almost every other day. So I will stop that unless there is an ammonia spike. =) let me know if this covers everything that you all asked.

right now I am treating Mojo (the green and yellow betta) in a separate tank with AQ salt (not his own tank yet because the salt can harm the snail) and changing the water out everyday to keep clean and to keep it warm. both 3 gallons have a filter and heat. but the Qt has a heater. His fin rot is circled in the picture. at least I think it is fin rot. it's dark and the fin looks like it was shrinking before I place him in the QT. Now he looks much better and the fin rot has not progressed

Both bettas are eating fine, swimming around normal, but Aku (the blue fish) is pacing quite a bit. not sure if his is just bored or something is wrong. ignore the hair by Aku's mouth that was outside of the tank. XD he doesn't do this all the time. only when the light is on. At night, he sleeps.

Aku's head has some new red spots. above his eye and close to his gill. I read online that betta's can change colors after you get them at pet stores. not sure if this is happening or not.

I have some pictures of both:

Last edited by Tree; 10-02-2013 at 10:12 PM.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:28 PM   #8 
Tree

also to add: I have treated my tap water for Ammonia and it is showing 0. The PH in my tap shows about 8 (slightly dark blue)
Old 10-03-2013, 06:01 AM   #9 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Check water daily until you can see a pattern of ammonia increase, then change 50% whenever ammonia rises >0.25ppm. Try to get your fish out of the QT as soon as possible. Clean warm water is the first recommended treatment for finrot.

Treated tapwater is usually better than so-called "pure" drinking water. It has the minerals that fish need. Condition with Prime (2-drops/gal of tank size) at every water change. At your first change to tapwater, do a 25% change and do it slowly. Next day, do a slow 50% change. That should do it.

Pacing or glass-surfing is a nervous habit they outgrow over time. Putting in more plants,--- kind of jungle-y looking and with floating plants---- usually stops this.

Listen to ANHEL when it comes to diagnosing and treatment.

Too bad the photo contest has been temporarily cancelled. Your pictures are of outstanding quality.

Last edited by Hallyx; 10-03-2013 at 06:04 AM.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:43 AM   #10 
Hallyx
Reference Team

I forgot to ask: what pH test kit are you using that shows blue at 8.0pH?