Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-03-2013, 11:53 AM   #11 
Tree

Thank you so much for all of the advice. I am going to change my conditioner to Prime. and change my water to tap. Do you think they have Prime in stores? I will add another plant in Aku's tank to see if he settles down. He was in that little cup after all when I got him. he might be overwhelmed of the space. XD

The test is a API drop test. it has the chart say 6.0 - 7.6 my tap read a little over 7.6 at the time but when I checked the tap water last night it was around 7.2... strange.

thank you so much for the complement. 8D I have a canon T3i Camera that is perfect of taking pictures of critters behind glass tanks. =)

Last edited by Tree; 10-03-2013 at 11:55 AM.
Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 01:04 PM   #12 
ANHEL123

just want to add something:) when you will transfer him to the tap do 25 % just like Hallyx recommended, take extra long time to acclimate him, just so he is not stressed with a change and different chemistry. May be an hour or even longer, and do the same when you will do 50% water changes. I know that when LittleBlueFishlets bring home new betta she acclimate them close to 3 hours.

How much of the salt you been using? I agree just keep water super clean and watch him closely. If you will think his fins getting worse then you can use the aquarium salt, but you need to use therapeutic dose though , which is minimum 1tsp/gall up to 3 tsp/gall depending how sever it is.

Last edited by ANHEL123; 10-03-2013 at 01:06 PM.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 01:36 PM   #13 
Tree

Note taken. I have been putting 1 tsp of Aquarium salt in a 1.5 gallon each time I clean the tank fully. I have the salt dissolve 100% in another small container before adding it into the tank then I mix it around. He has been in treatment for about 4 days now. I might slowly bring him back into his larger tank today. though I heard that you should keep them in the QT for 7-10 days? is that true?
Old 10-03-2013, 02:25 PM   #14 
ANHEL123

A lot of people recommending to qt and some saying you can treat them in the main tank for the treatment. I think you can really do it in the main tank .Well you have a snail so you can't do it. Usually if you treating with aquarium salt you need to finish whole course of it 10-14 days. And answer to your question, if you should keep him qt for longer, you really don't have to. The people recommending it because of the frequency of the water changes and treatment. So if you can do it in the main tank you can put him there and do water changes in the main tank.

Any time when you have a divided tank with another betta then of course you need to qt sick betta right away and do not share anything between them. And even do a large water change in the main tank for prevention . With some disease ,its even helpless to qt them because the tank already contaminated and you have to treat whole tank. That is why i am super careful with my bettas and all have separate changing equipment for each of them. I am crazy about it. I don't know why i decided that your tank is divided with 2 bettas when you clearly saying that you have 2 tanks, sorry .

So you can transfer him back and do frequent water changes and see how he doing. And if you think he is getting worse especially if he has any behavior changes you can treat him with salt again and see if its helps. The minimum therapeutic dose of the aq salt though is 1 tsp/gall with daily water changes. The maximum dose is 3tsp/gall depends on severity. The instruction on the salt box is just for the preventative care.

How long you have them?

Forgive me Hallyx i know you like to cycle the tanks. But i don't like to cycle and use the filter for the 3 gall tanks. So i would always just recommend to do regular water changes. Because cycling can crashed easily in the smaller tanks and give you a problem.
But if you want to continue to have the filters in your 3 gall tanks i would do frequent water changes for now and see hoe both of them doing.

Recommendation for the water changes in the 3 gall tank with the filter is 2-50% water changes a week, with the gravel vacuuming , + make sure you swish /rinse the filter media in the tank water regularly as it can gather a lot of gunk on them and that could cause ammonia spike.

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=115758
Old 10-03-2013, 03:16 PM   #15 
Tree

That's ok ANHEL123, I miss read all the time. =) I at times need to read three times to get everything in my little brain of mine. LOL

Thanks so much for the input! you guys have been helping me so much. <3

I have had Mojo (the yellow and green betta) close to a month now. About 3 1/5 weeks. The other one I got two weeks ago.

What I think I will do is move Mojo back in his larger tank today. Let him stay in a small cup to get used to the temp in the tank than set him free. I will watch him to see if the rot gets worse. His fins look a bit better but the area I circled has not improved or gotten worse. Go you think he will be ok since he has been active and seems to be getting better?

PS: taking a closer look at Mojo, his back tail fins seem to be changing from black to yellow and straitening out more. I always thought that his fins had black tips and curled but it looks like it was fin rot too. here is an image before the treatment:

and here is him in the QT getting treated:

it looks like there is a difference or it could just mean he is growing? what do you all think?

Last edited by Tree; 10-03-2013 at 03:34 PM.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:42 PM   #16 
ANHEL123

OMG he is so gorgeous not sure if there is a diffirence. The light stripe right in the middle on his body its just lightning right?
Old 10-03-2013, 03:58 PM   #17 
Tree

yeah the white is the lighting, a little bit of a glare. =) thanks so much!
Old 10-03-2013, 05:13 PM   #18 
ANHEL123

He really looks good and if he is acting healthy i think we are right for now-clean water, extra changes. If you keep the filters then don't forget to rinse the media in the tank water , vacuum the gravel and see how both of them doing. Don't worry about pH but be careful when you transfer to the new water. Do not use pH down, sorry i think we already told you that. Take very long time to acclimate.
Your tap water is 0 ammonia so its a +.
Let us know how he doing. Don't forget water conditioner.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:35 PM   #19 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree View Post
Do you think they have Prime in stores? I will add another plant in Aku's tank to see if he settles down. He was in that little cup after all when I got him. he might be overwhelmed of the space. XD
Prime is commonly available in well-stocked petstores like Petco or Petsmart. Did I mention to get the small bottle for now? I'll tell you what to do with the empty bottle later.

Plants give the illusion of a cozy pond bank where their cousins like to hang out. More plants is always better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree View Post
The test is a API drop test. it has the chart say 6.0 - 7.6 my tap read a little over 7.6 at the time but when I checked the tap water last night it was around 7.2... strange.
That's the low range test. If you're extrapolating to guess 8.0pH, you're using the wrong test. There is another bottle to test for high range pH. It reads in shades of tan and purple.

Last edited by Hallyx; 10-03-2013 at 05:37 PM.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:25 PM   #20 
Tree

Mojo is now settling down in his 3 gallon tank though he has a little bit of bloat. I am going to be fasting him early I guess. =/ I think the little jerk ate some of the snail food while I was gone! Looks like the food was half eaten.

Yup I bought the small bottle. no need for a large one since I only have two bettas. lol

ah! I should get the high reading then for PH. I will have to get that at the store. =)