Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-24-2009, 10:32 AM   #1 
puppyrjjkm

Opinions on 20 gallon long tank?

I am thinking about buying a 20 gallon long tank and dividing it 6 ways for male bettas. That means 3.3 gallons for each fish. Is this okay? I mean will they all be okay being surrounded by other males?

Also I have a 5 gallon divided 2 ways but the side without the filter is just stagnant water. For my 20 gallon how can I make all of the "seperate areas" filtered? Thanks

If I get this 20 gallon I will have 3 empty tanks :) Yay for more bettas haha

Last edited by puppyrjjkm; 08-24-2009 at 10:43 AM.
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 11:42 AM   #2 
doggyhog

I think it would work just fine!! Also, another idea, you could put a divider on each end, put a male in each section, then have a sorority in the middle part!!!!
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 04:35 PM   #3 
Jazattackk

I think that'd be great, but even better if you only split it four ways so each fish can have 5 gallons :)
Jazattackk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 06:58 PM   #4 
puppyrjjkm

I could do 4 ways, since I currently have 4 bettas. I was just thinking ahead because knowing me I would probably say oh I have room for another haha thanks
Old 08-24-2009, 09:58 PM   #5 
Vikki81207

3.3 gallons is fine. That's how much my three boys get in the 10 gallon divided in 3...well obviously lol. I've been wanting a 20 long to put all my bettas in.
Vikki81207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 07:05 AM   #6 
Kim

I think a lot of it depends on your room temp. I have figured out ways to split aquariums in 2 and still get proper heat distribution, but I know that if I don't have enough water flow that I will have major problems including cold spots and my heater only heating the water around it and then turning off before it gets a chance to heat the rest. My house is always fairly cool though, so if your house is always fairly warm then it's a different story ;) I don't know how you could filter it without multiple filters (at least 2-3 depending on how many sections you divide it into).

If you are going to do it, I would only split it into 4. I think that's a better space for each betta, and 1 less divider to worry about. There is also the issue of fish compatability. If you know your 4 are ok as neighbors then that's fine, but I have 1 fish that I put in a divided tank with another male and he absolutely SHREDDED his fins until I took him out about an hour later when I noticed. It all depends on the fish's personality whether or not they'll enjoy being in a divided tank.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:43 AM   #7 
puppyrjjkm

Thanks, I know that at least 2 of them get along (they are already neighbors). the other two are in their own tanks at the moment. I'm just looking to have a few empty tanks on hand. I would have a filter that would come with the tank in one section, then I have a small filter for a 1.5 gallon tank that I could put in the 3rd section. So I think it would be okay. Thanks :)
Old 08-25-2009, 06:36 PM   #8 
Kim

With multiple filters you should be fine. I'd go with 2 lower wattage heaters too.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:40 PM   #9 
puppyrjjkm

Thanks!!! I'll have an extra heater from my 5 gallon so I could put that in there too. thanks so much, I can't wait for this new tank! :)
Old 08-26-2009, 06:10 AM   #10 
Kim

Sounds great! Have fun :)