Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-01-2013, 09:26 PM   #1 
eden000

Natural Plant Newbie - Nano Tank Diaries (and Questions!)

Hey guys! After having my Aqueon Evolve 2 set up for a couple months, I decided I wanted to add live plants to make my betta's days a little more natural. I also couldn't stop drooling over some of the lush jungle looks I've seen in this and other forums.

At first I just got a bit of Anubias petit nana tied to some driftwood (with the stock LEDs), but it slowly turned a weird orangey/brown colour. Disappointing. I did a bit more research, and was intrigued by the whole "a planted tank with fish will be more successful than a fish tank with plants" thing.

Here's my new setup: (and I GREATLY welcome any suggestions/critiques. Like I said, I'm a complete newbie and don't really know what I'm doing)

Tank: Aqueon Evolve 2
Lights: Fluval 13W (I just got this today...we'll see how it does). (On 8 hour/day cycle)
Substrate: White, unenriched sand with Seachem plant tabs
Plants: Anubias nana petite, some kind of crypt
Fertilizer: Seachem Flourish

My questions: Do I need to add much more plants to avoid an algae outbreak? I think the light I have is pretty strong for the tank, but the stock LEDs just didn't seem bright enough. Should I be dosing the Flourish, if so how much?

Does anyone else have any plant suggestions for things that would work in a tank this size, with this setup?

Last edited by eden000; 10-01-2013 at 09:31 PM.
eden000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:28 AM   #2 
Fishybitty

I read that moss balls help with algae, because it uses up the nutrients algae needs. Btw I like that tank! Looks nice
Fishybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:53 AM   #3 
eden000

Thanks! Hmm, I forgot about moss balls! Good idea :)
I really want the tank to have a lush, overgrown feeling. So I'm hoping the crypts grow fast enough for them to spread a little. Also looking for suggestions of some fuller plants that could give me that look!
Old 10-02-2013, 11:31 AM   #4 
babystarz

Quote:
My questions: Do I need to add much more plants to avoid an algae outbreak? I think the light I have is pretty strong for the tank, but the stock LEDs just didn't seem bright enough. Should I be dosing the Flourish, if so how much?
Yes to more plants, some floaters would be ideal (and they are the best at sucking up ammonia). I would recommend you get some frogbit. This will also make your betta happy and give him some shade.

Using Flourish is up to you, I do suggest you start at only 1/8 the recommended dose and slowly work up to the full dose over time to avoid shocking your plants.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 05:26 PM   #5 
eden000

Okay, awesome suggestions :) I'll get some this weekend.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:34 AM   #6 
eden000

Update: Getting a bit of hair algae, but hoping to buy some type of anubias, moss ball, and maybe frogbit this weekend. The crypts get uprooted so easily when I'm doing water changes, it's rather frustrating. I had to move them around a little yesterday
Old 10-05-2013, 03:10 PM   #7 
ao
TFK Moderator

your tank looks great! and the moss balls will certianly add more awesomeness!
Do you plan to put a heater in sometime? or is it warm enough where you live? :)
please update us when you get new plants!
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 03:30 PM   #8 
eden000

Thanks aokashi! Oh, there is and always has been a heater. I keep the temp around 82, as I've noticed my betta likes that a lot better than the more common temperature of 78. I live in Canada, so a heater was definitely a must-have!

Here's a current picture. Really worried about the hair algae taking over... Going to do a water change and add more plants tomorrow after I finish work. Any ideas why the white sand has turned that yellowy colour? Also thinking of adding liquid carbon. Might it help with the algae issue?

Old 10-05-2013, 03:36 PM   #9 
ao
TFK Moderator

i dont see any hair algae o_O but Ido see lots of bubbles!
Liquid carbon may kill moss balls to as they are also a type of algae ^_^
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 06:48 PM   #10 
eden000

Haha, it's hard to see in the picture. But around the edges, you can see the yellowy-green film which is actually really fine algae (i'm assuming), sticking to the tank. There's also a bit on the leaves of the anubias and crypts. But yes, I love seeing those bubbles ^^