Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-06-2013, 10:18 PM   #11 
eden000

Scrubbed off some of the film when I was doing my water change - it was actually Brown. Gross.

In any case, here's a picture:
Didn't get any floaters, but I did add some rotala and a marimo :) She gave me a tiny leaf of what I think is duckweed. I have it in there, hoping it'll spread since I didn't even pay for it!

eden000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:55 AM   #12 
ao
TFK Moderator

heehee brown "film" sounds like diatoms. they're a sign of a new tank or a change in water chemistry, it usually happens when there are more silicates present in the source water. I'm no algae expert but, under most cases, they will go away without a trace once your plants and tank settles in :)

Lovely moss ball! your "rotalas" may be Ludwigia repens, a plant with bigger leaves but will turn a love shade of red when it gets closer to the light :) a good find!
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:03 PM   #13 
eden000

Left my tank for a week without WC (not optimal, I know), and a few days during thanksgiving without monitoring. I was happy to see that there wasn't a huge algae bloom or anything, but I'm really wondering about a few things...

First of all, the petit anubias nana is really turning brown, and smells incredibly mouldy. If it keeps being like this, I'll have to get rid of it because I'm allergic to mould. Is this the diatoms you're talking about? To me, it seems like the plant is just dying.

I picked off the worst looking leaves of the nana, and replanted the tops of the ludwigia because it's growing quite fast with new leaves coming in! It is turning brownish, though, compared to the original bright green. Wondering about some reasons for this? I also removed some melted crypt leaves.

Update picture:

I just did a 80% WC, and added a bit of seachem flourish. The roots are branching out a lot more, and the plants were quite stable when I was doing the WC so that made me happy.

Thinking about getting some invert to help out with algae - does anyone think that this tank could support a MTS in addition to my betta, and would this help with algae? I've read it would, in addition to aerating the sand.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:04 PM   #14 
KennioSays

hey eden i see you started up your tank! looks great bud!
KennioSays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:42 PM   #15 
sandybottom
Reference Team

nice tank.the problem you are having is too intense light.right now you are at 6.5 wpg. and most of your plants are low light.you need a 5 watt 5000-7500k bulb.this will bring you into low to medium light range.6.5 is in the high light high tech range where you need different flora and co2.you could go as low as a 3 or 4 watt bulb.your anubius is getting scorched.even in lower light i give mine shade or they grow algae.i would not use ferts at this point as there is no balance between light and plant type.get a lower wattage bulb and start newly planted tanks at 6 hrs light cycle.after the plants have established a bit you can up the amount of light hrs.think of it as establishing a base tan when you lay out in the summer. i do not use alot of ferts on my low tech/light nano tanks.i think i have dosed for potassium about 4 times in the last year.it is harder to balance smaller tanks.i only use ferts when i see a deficiency.if you have heavy root feeders then you can use root tabs sparingly.

Last edited by sandybottom; 10-19-2013 at 09:46 PM.
sandybottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:22 PM   #16 
eden000

Okay, I hear what you're saying about the anubias and I'm going to take it out anyways. All my other plants are doing great, though - there's tons of new growth, and the only problem I'm having is diatoms on the older leaves but all the new leaves are a nice bright green! The ludwigia repens have a beautiful red color on the underside of their leaves, and they look even more beautiful than when I took them home!

I really don't think that the light is too strong, except maybe for the anubias. I'm planning on getting another plant soon, and a snail, and I'll look at medium light options for that.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:23 PM   #17 
eden000

So… this tank has changed a lot, and I thought I'd do a little update picture ^^