Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-02-2013, 12:33 PM   #1 
Sally M

First aid for baby betta

Yesterday one of my new babies started to feel poorly. She's been fine for a week but then was holding her fins in and not active at all but still eating. She is very young and small, still has horizontal lines. She was in my 14g, heated to 80-82, filtered, 50% water changes daily or every other day (mostly for GSH, all other params normal for a new tank, no ammonia), BioGold pellets crushed, 5 other babies (hopefully female but unknown at this time, no real bullying going on), 6 glowlight tetras, 3 oto cats, and a shrimp. I've moved her into a 1g heated to 83F or so, filtered, with 1/2 t epsom salt and 1/2 t sea salt just this morning. She hasn't perked up. Anything else I should do? Or anything I shouldn't have?
Sally M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 05:56 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Both salts?!? Never combine both the salts, especially for babies. I'm sure there are exceptions but I would never condone that for one. Get her into clean water asap, don't treat her unless you know what you're trying to treat because you can make it worse. Also with babies, they're so delicate that you really shouldn't be using many medications on them.

It could be because some of the babies are boy's, even at this young of age they can be threatening. They don't have to fight but sometimes they can approach the females in a threatening manner, making them feel bad and scared. They can also communicate by basically making sound through their swim bladder which amplifies it. So there's many things that she could be experiencing right now. Does she get any food? Do they all eat mostly evenly or are there some that hog the food more than the other's?
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 06:19 PM   #3 
Sally M

She's in plain water now. I use a little salt in all my tanks so I didn't want to change that. With Epsom salts being a totally different chemical composition, I did not think they were incompatible. I also used low concentrations of both.

Everybody eats pretty well. Some eat at the surface and I make it a point to get some to fall so there is food at all levels. Some eat off the bottom and some while it is falling. So I think that everyone is getting food. No one is especially picking on her. She has now been alone all day and out of sight of any others.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:32 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh, don't use AQ salt for maintenance in your tank either. It's not supposed to be for that enough though it say's it, I really wish they'd change that. The more you use AQ salt or any salt in the water, the less effective it will be for treating diseases also, too much AQ salt can cause organ failure.

And by low dosages I mean like .25 tsp per gallon, not .5 or 1 tsp/gal.

It's not a matter of being incompatible because of composition but because it's a super stress on the organs for the fish, especially for babies as they're much more delicate. Granted Betta babies aren't as delicate as we might think, but they are babies nonetheless.

How often do you feed them?
Old 12-02-2013, 06:45 PM   #5 
Sally M

The baby tank gets 3x a day, the adults 2x. I know they suggest fasting for a day but I assumed that the babies should not be fasted. Is that correct?
Old 12-02-2013, 06:46 PM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah, no fasting for babies ^_^ and that's good. Just trying to figure out what else might be bothering her.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:14 PM   #7 
Sally M

I've been doing 50-65% water changes every day to every other day. The tank is not cycled yet and ammonias read close to .25 before the water change today. (She is not in that tank anymore). I can't think of anything else to do so wait and see is the plan. I hope she perks up, she's a lovely little thing - or maybe he's a handsome boy....
Old 12-02-2013, 07:20 PM   #8 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah, I can't really think of anything else besides just plain trauma. Because those babies have been shipped already, it's a huge trauma to them and often they just die because of the trauma of it all. And then the cups at PetCo don't help either so there are a lot of factors that play in and it really could be anything.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:24 PM   #9 
Sally M

They've all been with me a week now. She (I'm still hopeful!) is in the QT snuggled up between anything and the wall at the surface. Not sure why. There are some soft filters in there which is where she is now, between a flter pad and the wall. She wasn't interested in food tonight.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:32 PM   #10 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Is the tank on it's own, I mean not floating in a tank or anything? If so then put a towel or blanket over her tonight to keep it nice and dark. The darkness will help keep her calm and hopefully warm as well. I can't guarantee it will help her fully but it keeps her calm which does help over all.