Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-21-2013, 02:40 AM   #1 
LaceyNylons

Blisters on Cheezle's tail?

Hello again everyone!

I'm looking for some more advice regarding my Betta Cheezle. He appears to keep nipping at his tail, but over the last week or so, I have noticed 'blisters' and bumps where his tail meets his body.

Name:  Cheezle tail August 2013_1067x800.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  65.8 KB

Cheezle lives alone in a 20L (5.3 gallon) filtered tank. Water is at 26 degrees Celsius (78 Fahrenheit), Ammonia 0ppm, Nitrates 0ppm, Nitrites 0ppm. Water is slightly basic as that is just how it comes out of the tap.

I cleaned the tank and all its contents 100%, added aquarium salt to the water and changed the filter pads before adding Cheezle again.

The only thing that has changed is the fact that I added a live mussel from the pet store to his tank (long story...). Mr Mussel was removed and not reintroduced after the tank clean.

Cheezle appears to be in a happy an active mood. He swims around happily and eats healthily.

Could the mussel have introduced some kind of bacterial infection which is causing the blisters? Anyone have any suggestions as to what is happening and how to treat it?

Thanks!

Lacey

Name:  5th Feb 2013_1067x800.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  61.6 KB
5th February 2013

Name:  29th April 2013_1167x800.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  38.3 KB
29th April 2013

Name:  Cheezle tail August 2013_1067x800.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  65.8 KB
21st August 2013
LaceyNylons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:51 AM   #2 
Sena Hansler

wowee.. Wish I knew what was going on. I've only ever been aware to bumps on the body. It looks bacterial to me, due to the second picture showing the almost "rotten" appearance. Quick question of the first pic - was the odd color at the bottom of the caudal/tail normal, or did it look unusual? Was that what he started to bite off?
And did the introduction of the mussel happen before or after it started?
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:18 AM   #3 
TiffanyP

To me that looks like very very severe fin rot. I would see if you can PM oldfishlady, lilnaugrum, or txbettaowner (or any other of the more knowledgeable members) to get their help asap
TiffanyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:39 AM   #4 
Sena Hansler

Never seen fin rot like that. But you can PM the people as mentioned above. They (or others) may also post here to help you :)
Old 08-21-2013, 06:50 PM   #5 
LaceyNylons

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the response. The mussel was added a few weeks before the latest picture (#3). We assumed he was nibbling his tail in picture #1 - #2 because his tail would disappear then grow back silver. I posted a thread regarding this issue a while back. Will see if I can dig it up and post here for everyone to see.

I'll keep up with salt and water changes and hopefully see some positive change soon.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:55 PM   #6 
Sena Hansler

Hmm, the mussel may not have been the full cause, or the cause at all! The silver I see in the second picture is NOT normal. He may also have been tail biting because it was irritating him (who knows?)

I am very worried about the fact it is so close to the body now. Since it seems to be a slow progress between #2 and #3, I suggest ordering Kanaplex - very strong, potent medication used for a wide range of diseases including the hardest to beat. I'll swear by it
Old 08-21-2013, 08:04 PM   #7 
LaceyNylons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
Hmm, the mussel may not have been the full cause, or the cause at all! The silver I see in the second picture is NOT normal. He may also have been tail biting because it was irritating him (who knows?)

I am very worried about the fact it is so close to the body now. Since it seems to be a slow progress between #2 and #3, I suggest ordering Kanaplex - very strong, potent medication used for a wide range of diseases including the hardest to beat. I'll swear by it
Tail biting due to irritation seems very plausible. I was unsure if he was ill because his tail would consistently grow back until the mussel was introduced.

I will call some aquariums to see if I can get some Kanaplex. I'm based in Western Australia and business should open any minute now at 09:00.

Thanks for the advice! Will keep everyone updated :)
Old 08-21-2013, 08:10 PM   #8 
Sena Hansler

I hope Australia can get it! I have heard it is really hard to get some meds there :) Good luck! I contacted OFL, hopefully she can help out too.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:01 PM   #9 
LaceyNylons

Hello again.

Here is a link to my first post regarding Cheezle's tail: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=165730

I have called all the pet stores in my area, and all they sell is MalaFix (antibacterial) and PimaFix (antifungal). Considering Cheezle's state, I would be hesitant to use such 'alternative hoo-ha' in place of actual medicine.

I will keep up with the water changes and salt until I can maybe ask a vet for a solution.

If anyone else can chip in some useful information, I'll graciously accept it :)
Old 08-21-2013, 10:06 PM   #10 
Sena Hansler

In the picture on there, that is REAL growth. That is typical, as sometimes it will not come back the same color.. However on this thread, the coloration in the first one is very much "off", and the same with the second picture.

So, the other thread may be a dead end for what caused this... I will say I have noticed that more and more pet store bettas have started to show random illnesses between a week and a year after they are bought... From tumors, cysts, chronic issues, etc. He may have had something underlying...

Do you know what else they have for medications there? Any Maracyn, or other such things? You'll want something with a wide range if the "cause and type is unknown" though I still think it is bacterial... It's easier to medicate (and safer) if you know what it is! And unfortunately, despite a heck of a lot I have encountered... This is not one of them.