Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-29-2013, 12:47 AM   #91 
Lefitte

I'm getting a little more weight on him but his back is looking a little worse. I think it's due to that part of him staying out off water too long. It looks kind of dry? Like white areas. It's only where his back pokes out of the water when he's floating and no where else. I tried to take advantage of him being on his side and get some pictures of it but they're blurry. I also got him to eat a pellet today! And he's been greeting me every morning which he hasn't been well enough to do for weeks. I'm also a little worried about a return of finrot because in some lighting the regrowth looks black and in other lighting the regrowth looks vibrant blue. I just don't know. Still doing the water changes.

Lefitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 10:44 PM   #92 
ANHEL123

Are you still using Epsom? I would use 3tsp/gall . Not sure what to say about that dry spot, i actually can see it on the picture. I don't think it can cause an infection. Hmm i actually not sure at all. I guess it nothing you can do about it. Just keep eye on it. I think that despite him having all those problems , he is one happy guy that gets so much love!
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 11:03 PM   #93 
Lefitte

I haven't used any epsom yet. The epsom was for the bloating but he's not bloated so I haven't seen reason to give him yet another treatment. I've been simply keeping up with water changes and dosing a teeny bit extra of the NovAqua because it says it has nutrients that benefit slime coat and I figure he could use that. [By extra I mean more like 28 drops instead of the 25 drops needed. Not anything significant]

I am happy to see a little more weight on him lately. I was getting to the point where I could see dips near his spine and those have almost completely filled out. I keep shining lights on him daily, both tank and flashlight at the same time to see the accurate color of his fins. That long strand of fin that was left over has fallen off, however, I believe I might have injured it when cupping him a couple days ago. There was an obvious injury to it and it drooped past this little line. So yeah I think it was my fault. I'm going to have to feed him some bloodworms in a little bit because he wouldn't take the pellet again.

As for Kirei, I think his heater might be malfunctioning. His temperature was in the mid-80s and it's set for 80... I turned the heater down further and I'll be keeping a very close watch on it. It's an older heater that was given to me by a friend, 100W. I've been pretty careful to unplug it during water changes and wait a few minutes for it to cool down before doing anything but I'm afraid that I might not have been as careful as I could have or that maybe it's too old. I hope not!
Old 11-29-2013, 11:32 PM   #94 
ANHEL123

Epsom is very mild and less stressful than aquarium salt. Epsom usually recommended for fish with constipation, bouyancy problem, internal infection. Epsom also has antibacterial affect so would also help with his fins .
Heaters , i set them for 78 but a few of them heat only up to 74*. I keep a few of my bettas in 74*. The heaters capacity for a bigger tank, so i thought it would overheat rather than bring the temperature down. But so far i have it for about 2 years and temperature is stable. I always unplug the heaters about 5 min before i do the water change.
I am also very paranoid with all heaters and check them daily (3 times a day). I had one that overheated , and i had one that stopped working when the temp in the house at night was 65*. So i always check on them and can't wait until summer, when i just take them out.
It good that he is eating. I hope he will get better . I really think you should try Epsom . Just make sure it's unscented 100% Magnesium sulfate without any additives .
Old 11-29-2013, 11:38 PM   #95 
Lefitte

Hmm yeah I still might do the epsom salt. I already bought it, 100% magnesium sulfate. I can always try a mild dose and see if it helps. I spend most of my time in the living room and the boys are on a bar counter between the living room and kitchen so I check on them constantly. I definitely don't need heaters in summer either. It gets way too hot haha.
Old 11-29-2013, 11:48 PM   #96 
ANHEL123

The same here. I would recommend to do even more water changes in the tanks due to the warmer water. It's more chance to get infection with a warmer water. I change my tanks more often during the summer,
Will wait for another update on guys. I really hope Chi will feel better:)
Old 12-02-2013, 02:51 AM   #97 
Lefitte

Good news, bad news.

Good news:
I got my IAL today! Yaaay! Added some to the tanks already. I cut around the stem and threw that out, just to be safe.

Bad news:
Chi definitely has finrot again. I see a couple of holes in the edges of his fins.
Also, he's slightly pineconed! I heard this happening after epsom salt was added. I wonder if that could be the problem? That's the better of the two. I'm not sure what to do about that.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:37 PM   #98 
ANHEL123

Is all his body pineconning or only the stomach?
Dropsy symptoms (pineconning ) can be localized. Like for example ,if he would be bloated then he might pineconeconing only on his stomach due to constipation or internal infection.
Pineconing (dropsy symptoms) can be due to the fluid retention in the body then all body will be pineconing. If you look from the top you will see it. In this situation kidneys it can't process the fluid,which lead to kidney failure .
In both situations Epsom is helpful .Using epsom salt continuously can dehydrate the betta and draw fluid out of his body, so Epsom would not cause the dropsy symptom (pineconing) especially that you not using it for a long time.

Is he eating at all?