Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-02-2013, 11:46 AM   #1 
Betta Adventures

Shipping USPS policy change?

I just tried to ship a betta via USPS with priority shipping and they wouldn't accept it unless it's express shipping. I've received and been able to send with USPS before. Does anyone know what's going on? Is there a change in policy? They wanted me to poke holes in the box so the fish could breathe...
Betta Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:51 AM   #2 
snowflake311

Don't tell them you are shipping a fish. You are allowed to ship live fish.

Specific Requirements by Animal:
Goldfish
Tropical Fish

"Fish must be held in a securely sealed primary receptacle.
Primary receptacle must be cushioned with sufficient absorbent material to take up all liquid in case of leakage.
Primary receptacle and absorbent cushioning material must be sealed within waterproof outer (shipping) packaging."

http://pe.usps.gov/text/pub52/pub52c5_007.htm

Nothing says you need to poke holes they are so dumb. Up the fish is in a plastic bag come on people. I just print my own labels and wright contains water in plastic and parishable on the box. Then drop it off no question asked.

Last edited by snowflake311; 10-02-2013 at 11:58 AM.
snowflake311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 12:10 PM   #3 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Really?? I told my post office I was shipping fish and they were shocked that I could do so, they just never thought about it but still gladly accepted and handled the package with care. My post office is really awesome though so I know that won't go for all offices. But yeah, I would just not tell them what you're sending out if they're going to do that, it's silly. lol poking holes..
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 12:26 PM   #4 
Fenghuang

Weird... I have never been asked what I am shipping or even if there is any liquid in the box. I just go up to the counter and ask if I can ship something and they say "sure."

I don't write "Live Fish" on my boxes though. Just "Fragile." Hadn't had a problem yet.
Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 12:33 PM   #5 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah, had issues when writing Fragile on the box :-/ they tend to not care about fragile items and want to abuse them more so I don't suggest writing fragile on the boxes. Live Fish is fine because pretty much everyone will respect live animals, I work directly with some UPS guys and Fedex guys, when live fish come in they are so tender about it but the fragile stuff they just throw everywhere which saddens me and I tend to reprimand them for it. They eventually stopped mistreating the packages in front of me lol
Old 10-02-2013, 12:47 PM   #6 
Fenghuang

I tried to read up on shipping fish as much as I can before I shipped the first time and people have talked about having the opposite experience. One person said the postal worker they've talked to refused to ship their fish, saying that it was illegal and they'll destroy any live fish they find. Another person said that packages marked as containing live fish end up being delayed, while the "fragile" ones arrive on time, no problem. There are also people who suspect that writing live animals makes people too curious, which can lead to increased risk of accidents.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:48 PM   #7 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I guess it depends on where it's going and who is getting/shipping it :-/ the post is just a bit ridiculous lol.

I haven't written Live Fish yet but just left the package unmarked and it arrived safe and soundly and on time. So I don't know!
Old 10-02-2013, 12:59 PM   #8 
Fenghuang

Yes, indeed. xD Shipping always make me nervous.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:45 PM   #9 
rickey
Banned

I ship hundreds of fish a year FedX and generally don't have problems they do per state law have to have Health Certificates on all fish.

Health Certificates

R
rickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 03:32 PM   #10 
Skyewillow

If they give you a hassle about shipping live fish, you go to their website and print off the section on shipping livestock. It clearly states what is and isn't allowed, and they shouldn't give you many more problems after that.

I've shipped out frogs the last 2 weeks, and almost everything with "Live Fish/frogs" on it has been delivered on time and safely. So I agree with LilNinja about it depending where it's going, or who is handling it.

Also, I just got a boy from Aemaki this morning, 2 day priority and LIVE FISH on the box. Our carrier will sometimes bring those boxes up to the door.

Last edited by Skyewillow; 10-02-2013 at 03:35 PM.
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote