Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-13-2009, 09:44 AM   #1 
MonsiuerPercy1

Are this fish compatible with a betta

I have a Betta that is currently in a separate tank, but I am thinking about putting it in a 55 gallon I have. The inhabitants are as follows: 12 Golden Danios, 3 Pink Rainbows, 1 oto, 2 Dojo Loaches, 5 Panda Cories, 3 Fancy Guppies, 2 Giant Danios, and 2 Gold Gouramis. Would the Betta be okay?
MonsiuerPercy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 01:40 AM   #2 
TaraHanon

If the fancy guppies have flowing fins like the Betta, they may not get along very well. But, I am not too sure. If you wait long enough someone will be around to help you out on that one a little better.
TaraHanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 01:55 AM   #3 
fishyinpa

Not sure,but wanted to say to Tara,my corys are the stooges too! haha.
fishyinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 04:43 PM   #4 
misstephaniexxx

In my 10g i have three female bettas and 4 fancy tailed guppies (2 of each gender) and they all get along fine, as far as the bettas go. My bettas are always with each other, and ignore the guppies.

One of the male guppies picks on one of the female guppies, but i think its the male/females ratio for them.
misstephaniexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 11:34 AM   #5 
puppyrjjkm

I wouldn't put a betta with gold gouramis. They both went for eachother in my 29. But since there is more room in your tank it might work...
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 05:07 PM   #6 
MXS

I would try it and watch carefully
MXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 03:06 PM   #7 
RoseyD

I think the gold gouramis will be an issue if it's a male. My female gold 'juvie' gourami is doing well with my king betta Arthur.

My boesemani seem to ignore the king betta too - (although, the way they swarm to the top to grab food was a bit scary for Arthur - but that was more noticable when I had the threadfins in the tank with them - and that was a lot of rainbow swarming ...) My 2 boesemani are more easy going now that I've separated the threads...

Arthur thanks me.
RoseyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 03:12 PM   #8 
RoseyD

There's nothing wrong with testing by putting in a breeding net and seeing how the tank inhabitants react to the betta inside the net. Leave the net hanging for a day or two and see what comes of it. If the golds lose interest, quickly, then you can decide whether to go further or not.

As long as you keep the other tank up and ready - you can always do a catch to bring the betta out if he doesn't respond well to sharing, or if he's being abused...

Just do the test when you have the time to watch the happenings in the tank. Spend the evening watching them both with lights off, and on... and see how it goes.
RoseyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 04:00 PM   #9 
MonsiuerPercy1

The betta seems to be fine. I watch my tank religiously every day and have never seen any of the other fish picking on him. That is a good sign.
MonsiuerPercy1 is offline   Reply With Quote