Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-27-2013, 07:53 PM   #1 
natmaka

White patch on body

Hi,

My daughter's betta "Coquin" died. I wonder why. We bought him in a local pet shop 2 months ago and installed it alone in a cycled 25 liters (6.6 US gallons) heated to 25C (77F), covered and filtered (200 l/h, with a baffle placed to break the current). I changed approx 10% of the water each week.

He was feed thanks to small "Ocean nutrition" pellets and JBL NovoBetta. He was in good shape, always checking whatever was in front of the glass, eating well. No visible problem whatsoever.

Then I searched a new home for a female corydoras aeneus albinos, living in another aquarium since mid-2012 (she's probably blind), checked on the Web that they can live together, and installed her with him.

I saw some (rare) somewhat decolorated scales on Coquin, but I cannot remember if it was before or after the cory's installation in his aquarium.

There was no apparent problem.

Five days later Coquin was in a state of apathy, didn't eat anymore and had a white patch on the side. I medicated (eSHA 2000). In approx 24H he was staying vertically (head up) in a corner (see picture 1).

24H later he died on the bottom (see picture 2)

The cory is perfectly OK (she just layed eggs)

Given the symptoms and cadaver appearance I suppose he had some fungal infection, or body slime infection, or maybe columnaris. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

natmaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:18 PM   #2 
veggiegirl

Sorry to hear of your loss :( My immediate thought upon looking at the photos was columnaris. The lesion on his dorsal region is a tell tale sign of 'saddleback columnaris'. Of course nothing can be conclusive but that is certainly my best guess.
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:34 PM   #3 
natmaka

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiegirl View Post
columnaris
Thank you for your useful answer!
natmaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:51 PM   #4 
veggiegirl

No Problem, sorry to hear you lost the poor guy. Even if you had known it can be difficult to treat though not impossible.
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote