Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-02-2013, 09:40 PM   #11 
jenna

So now I've gone out and got the Stress Coat and the Prime...I made the water and tested it and I'm getting a reading of pH 8.4 (my tap is 7.6) Ammonia .5 and 0 nitrates or nitrites.

I have Essie sitting in a bag of her old water floating in the water above. Did I mix wrong? It is hard considering I had to mix it for only one gallon, I put .1 ml of the Prime and .5 of the stress coat?
jenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:15 PM   #12 
jenna

I read that the pH isn't so much of a problem, but I am concerned about the ammonia. When she was in her old water treated with BettaSafe or whatever the ammonia only read .25 and that was with her living in it for two days. I don't understand why treated, unlived in water would have such a high ph. I mustve done the math wrong...can anyone help? I am stressing out. I guess I will just leave her in the bag tonight. I don't know what else to do.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:28 PM   #13 
PetMania

I'm so sorry. I know that your first betta experience is frustrating. Perhaps you may have read wrong, or mixed water when testing.
PetMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:37 PM   #14 
shannonpwns

First off, I don't see why you can't "mix" conditioners. You mean just adding prime to the new water you'll be adding to the old water that has the other conditioner in it? That is completely fine...there is no problem doing that. But you wouldn't need to mix the two together to condition new water.

The dose for Prime is two drops per gallon by the way.

I know the bottle doesn't have a dropper or anything, but I switched out the cap on mine with the cap from another fish liquid product that was empty so I can just squeeze out two drops easily. Or you can use an eye dropper that you can find in the pharmacy section at the store.

As for the filter cartridge...in my 1.5 gallons, they have a small filter, and I've never actually replaced the cartridges until they are so dirty that they don't pump anymore. I rinse them off every week. They really don't get dirty at all tbh, since I clean their tanks almost daily.

If you do 50% water changes every few days, you do not even need to remove your fish at all. Just leave her in the tank, use an airline tube, or a gravel siphon if you have one, and siphon up the poop and food off the bottom of the tank, and then continue to siphon out half of the water. Then replace it with premixed conditioned water.

If you have a heater, be sure to unplug it for 15 mins or so beforehand to allow it to cool before it is removed from the water, or exposed to air.
shannonpwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:57 PM   #15 
jenna

I wound up dumping out her old water while I was prepping her new water...After I tested the new water, it came out as 8.4 ph and .5 ammonia...so I remixed new water and tested it, it came out with 8.8 ph and .25 ammonia...now I am mixing a third batch...I used an eye dropper and put 3 drops of each (Prime and Stresscoat) and I'm about to test this. It still came out with a ph in the 8. I then did a batch of 2 drops each of the prime/stresscoat...still in the 8. Then I tried 2 of the prime and one of the stresscoat. Still in the 8s with the ph. IM going to need stresscoat :C
Old 10-03-2013, 12:08 AM   #16 
shannonpwns

The high ph is okay IMO. My ph is in the 8.0 - 8.5 range, and all my fish are fine. Even my betta fry. A stable ph is better than a fluctuating one.

As for the ammonia readings, that is normal. Your tap water probably has ammonia in it, and when you use Prime, it doesn't remove ammonia, it detoxifies it for 24 hours by turning it into ammonium. So you will always have false positive ammonia readings right after mixing when using Prime. Just ensure the water is warm, and conditioned, and put your girl in the tank. No need for testing brand new water IMO. You shouldn't even need to test in a one gallon, as long as you are doing your water changes appropriately.

Edited to add: I also don't believe in any other water additives besides conditioner. Unless of course it is for treating an illness.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:32 AM   #17 
jenna

Okay. So I just put water in with two drops of prime. That's it. I am done messing with it tonight. I am hoping she will be ok. I did not know about the unplugging the heater thing, thank you. I think I probably broke mine by not waiting and that's why it let her water get to 90*f!
Old 10-03-2013, 01:14 AM   #18 
shannonpwns

When you do not allow the heater to cool down before introducing it to air, it will break the auto off switch thingy (forget the technical name lol) and then it will just stay on at all times and not know when to switch off at the temp it's set at. So if that is the case, you will need a new heater if you didn't get one already. Is your heater as new as your fish? I'd just return it and say it doesn't work LOL.
Old 10-03-2013, 01:34 AM   #19 
Saphira101

You sound like you're off to a pretty good start. :)

The others have pretty much covered everything, but I do have something to add:

I've found that larger tanks (say 5-10 gallons) are easier to maintain than smaller ones. You don't have to change the water as often, and if you miss a water change the effect won't harm your fish nearly as much. (Granted that it's the only animal in the tank.) You can also have tankmates for your fish and maintain live plants a bit more easily.

You sound like you're great for now, but this might be an option to consider in the future, if you decide you'd like to expand your fish's world a bit. :)

Good luck with your little girlie, and keep us posted! :)

Last edited by Saphira101; 10-03-2013 at 01:36 AM.
Saphira101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:55 PM   #20 
jenna

Now I'm having more problems :C I left my house for an hour and came back to Essie stuck to the filter intake! I unplugged it quickly but now she has her left fin clamped and she is still laying on the gravel like she has been all week. Her breathing seems really heavy, like her gills are puffing out and in really fast...but shes laying more to the side now...what do I do :C

Water parameters are pH 7.6
Ammonia .5 (but I'm using prime so is this a false positive?)
Nitrates and trites both at 0

I did a 60% water change earlier today...