Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-02-2013, 09:11 PM   #1 
Elvette Emmett

Sorority start up

So I've read the how to posts ect but I want to know what's worked for you guys and what hasn't Horror stories, successes stuff like that. Right now I'm just setting up my ten gallon, I have a tetra biofilter, I'll be getting a heater(suggested wattage?) I have a few live plants and I'm working on getting some more. Just asking the experts opinions thanks
Elvette Emmett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:55 PM   #2 
jadaBlu

Don't rush take your time.
This is a good amount of plant thickness. Don't rush it takes a couple of months for a tank to grow out. Have floating plants for hiding on the top.

http://s10.postimg.org/sot9d7lop/10_Gallon_7.jpg

This would be a goal for offering cover for your girls. This tank is nice but you can do a jungle look and your girls will like it. Do a thirty day quarantine. People will tell you 14 is enough but after 2.5 weeks one fish got sick. Had I rushed the whole tank would have been sick and my plant money wasted. Keep the girls in sight of each other the whole time rotate positions. I kept mine in a close circle. I took two months to get my tank going snails went in first. I have one mystery snail that is really effective for cleaning the tank and she innitially helped to provide fertilizer for my plants.

When it's time to put them in float them in cups in the tank for 3-4 days to get them used to seeing each other in the tank and use the tank water to change the cups. Make sure the cups are stable the cups can turn over. Have a breeder's net and use time outs for excessive chasers. It took a week of confinement for one girl to behave. Some people have to repeat the process another week. Some girls just won't work out have an extra tank just in case. Keep your gallon containers in case of sickness. Have basic meds on hand in case of sickness. Especially if you can't get them locally.

Make sure you can be home at least a few days when you are ready release them observing them is really important. Test your water frequently water quality is important. Everything I am sharing was given to me by others on this forum. It really helped!

Last edited by jadaBlu; 10-02-2013 at 10:03 PM.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:22 PM   #3 
Elvette Emmett

This is my tank right now, I got a few more plants today. I also got some of the little clay plant pots from the dollar store. I haven't put them in yet I wasn't sure if they would be a good idea. I was also wondering about the telling the difference between dominant and submissive girls. A lot of places that I've read said put the most passive girl in first and so on until the most dominate but if they don't interact expect for through the little cups, how can you tell?
Attached Images

Old 10-04-2013, 11:46 PM   #4 
jadaBlu

It can be hard to telll who is dominant. I do think the ones that tail flipped the most when seeing their neighbor during quarantine tended to be more apart of my "patrol". Patrols in my tank are a team effort to keep the peace. You may not get one dominant fish. You will want to wait until your tank is thick with plants before adding your girls. I added my fish all at the same time. This partly because one escaped her cup and I had to release everyone before she got any ideas about "owning the tank". If you add clay pot be sure to stop the holes with AQ silicone and let it cure. I prefer to let silicone to sit until I can no longer detect an odor. However, the package will say 24 hours. If you don't stop the hole a fish might get stuck lots of people have lost bettas that way that didn't know. Pots are nice but what will be more important is floating plants (along with the others) . The girls will hang out at the top and surface there often. They will feel more secure with lots of cover there. My girls acted really uncomfortable initially surfacing because they were not used to another fish being so close.

Try to get your girls from the same store in a fresh shipment so they are really healthy and they will likely be from the same breeder (possibly related). You can ask your local store when they will get some in. You can go the aquabid or get some from a breeder on this forum. From a money standpoint when you are just starting a sorority I don't think it's worth it to pay shipping unless you have surplus funds to do it. Plants cost a whole lot and all of plants may not succeed. Investing in proper setup of your tank is a better investment and just being patient. You can add snails (do at least a two week quarantine of them with frequent water changes) before the fish. Aside from frequent water testing snails are a good barometer of how your tank is doing. If something is not right they will start heading to the top of the tank. I would get Malaysian trumphet snails and one Mystery snail. (I assume you are doing a sand and dirt tank)
Old 10-05-2013, 02:41 PM   #5 
scootshoot

Hard to tell via cups, just introduce them together and they will figure out a pecking order. The most dominant female will usually be the one that is most aggressive during feeding aka finds and gets to food quicker than others.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:50 PM   #6 
Elvette Emmett

I'm not a huge fan of snails. I had one that died and my other one that I have now produces more waste than I expected. I was thinking of getting ottos instead. And what do you think would be good floating plants? Also I'm a sucker for the sad/sick bettas in the store vs the healthy ones that everyone would buy, so my sorority is probably going to be a big rescue mission if anything which will take even longer to put together.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:09 AM   #7 
jadaBlu

I would ask in the betta companions section about ottos. Many people do keep them with bettas but check the stocking requirements. My tank is strickly bettas and snails. Snails really are not bad. I was not crazy about them at first but I quickly realized their benefits. They take care of algae and they will provide fertilizer for your plants before you can add fish. At the very least you will want Malaysian trumphet snails. They like worms for a fish tank. They generally stay under the soil in the tank. They eat debris and keep your soil "tilled" so you can avoid aenerobic bacteria build up and they help the roots of your plants. The only time you might see them is if you were to turn on the lights at 3am and look at your fish tank. They might come out then but they generally stay buried like clams.

There are a couple of girls in my sorority that I felt compelled to rescue so I understand your desire to do that. I would stick to what is called medium level rescue where maybe they have SBD or they are clamped. Disease can so easily wipe out a sorority it's best not get really sick fish. I took two months to set up my sorority tank and did water changes every 2-3 days. So anyone that maybe had an issue had plenty of time to perk up. You might want to get some Paraguard if you do rescue and dip all of the fish per the instructions once each fish is stable. I also like to use Kordon Fish Protector for sick fish (for the rescues) as well as adding to the sorority tank every few days to help heal any fin nips or split fins.

Last edited by jadaBlu; 10-06-2013 at 12:11 AM.

Tags
sorority