Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-03-2013, 01:02 AM   #1 
Wynn

Betta Tank Cleaning Questions

When this white stuff(calcium) builds up on the walls of the tank, is there a prefered method way to clean this off? How important is it to do such?

Items like the filter(the plastic not the baggy) how ften should they be cleaned when they start to build up stuff I cant really see but I can feel with my hand. Is this cause for concern and how to clean it, or often should it be clean?

I guess my question is what is good tank cleaning mantinence not always but sometimes(such as things that build up over months)

Thank you
Wynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:00 AM   #2 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Good questions, Wynn.

The filter inset/cartridge/sponge/foam/media should never be replaced until it's falling apart. Cleaning should consist merely of swishing it around to rinse it in tankwater you just removed during a water change.

Hard old calcium buildup can be removed with a razor blade (single-edge). Best to wipe it off before it sets...like concrete.

You can clean the filter body, decor, etc any way you want (vinegar is good...no soap...ever) as long as you leave the filter media and substrate submerged in conditioned water to keep the nitrifying bacteria from drying out. If your substrate gets disgusting, you can clean it like filter sponge...swish/rinse in conditioned water.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:43 AM   #3 
Wynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
Good questions, Wynn.

The filter inset/cartridge/sponge/foam/media should never be replaced until it's falling apart. Cleaning should consist merely of swishing it around to rinse it in tankwater you just removed during a water change.

Hard old calcium buildup can be removed with a razor blade (single-edge). Best to wipe it off before it sets...like concrete.

You can clean the filter body, decor, etc any way you want (vinegar is good...no soap...ever) as long as you leave the filter media and substrate submerged in conditioned water to keep the nitrifying bacteria from drying out. If your substrate gets disgusting, you can clean it like filter sponge...swish/rinse in conditioned water.
Interesting, I recall reading that the filter media should be cleaned with cold tap water once a week, and replaced once a month?

When you say single edge you mean my personal multi edge razor is a bad idea?

I am a bit new at this stuff. What excatly do you mean leave the subtreate submerged?
Old 10-03-2013, 09:00 AM   #4 
Hallyx
Reference Team

That advice was just wrong. The filter media contain the nitrifying bacteria which remove ammonia. They are heat and cold sensitive. They can also be killed or seriously reduced by chlorine or chloramine in tapwater. So you can see that that advice was inappropriate. By replacing your media regularly, you throw away all that valuable bacteria, which can damage or destroy your cycle.

Double-edge is fine if you feel safe using it.

There is nitrifying bacteria in the gravel/sand/substrate. Drying out kills them.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:31 PM   #5 
Wynn

Quote:
That advice was just wrong. The filter media contain the nitrifying bacteria which remove ammonia. They are heat and cold sensitive. They can also be killed or seriously reduced by chlorine or chloramine in tapwater. So you can see that that advice was inappropriate. By replacing your media regularly, you throw away all that valuable bacteria, which can damage or destroy your cycle.

Double-edge is fine if you feel safe using it.

There is nitrifying bacteria in the gravel/sand/substrate. Drying out kills them.
Oh, so what is the approaite way to clean it when it is turning brown?
How often do you recommand replacing it?
I always figured cleaning should happen in cycles, such as clean the rocks 1 week and the filter the next to avoid killing the BB. Is this the correct method?

Oh double edge isn't what I ment, my personal razor has like 3-4 blades cuz you said singel razor.

Oh, I have these like glass beads. I normally take them out twice montly and rinse them in warm water, this is also a bad idea? (twice montly I do a 100% water change to get all the built of poo and other stuff out of the bottom.)
Old 10-03-2013, 05:55 PM   #6 
Hallyx
Reference Team

That brown stuff is your nitrifying bacteria. Only change filter media when it's falling apart or restricting the flow. When you do, put the new media in with the old for a few weeks to transfer the bacteria.

Don't overclean your setup. A good substrate can go many months, even years, with nothing more than a vacuuming. Rinsing anything in tapwater is a really bad idea because it exposes the bacteria to chlorine/chloramine that's put into your tapwater to kill bacteria.

Glass beads/marbles/etc allow food and waste to get down in there making it hard to clean. That's why fine gravel or sand is easier to keep clean.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:02 PM   #7 
Wynn

Quote:
That brown stuff is your nitrifying bacteria. Only change filter media when it's falling apart or restricting the flow. When you do, put the new media in with the old for a few weeks to transfer the bacteria.

Don't overclean your setup. A good substrate can go many months, even years, with nothing more than a vacuuming. Rinsing anything in tapwater is a really bad idea because it exposes the bacteria to chlorine/chloramine that's put into your tapwater to kill bacteria.

Glass beads/marbles/etc allow food and waste to get down in there making it hard to clean. That's why fine gravel or sand is easier to keep clean.
Wait how do I put the new media and the old media together for weeks? I generally figured to put the media into the same water the as the old medai, but the intructions on the media say to rinse it with cold water before putting it in.

Yeah I try not to overclean my set up but I don't have a vacuum which is why I do a 100% change to get all the poop out. I will take your advice not to clean the rocks often. But how should I properly clean them?

So for the calcium deposit a standard razor I use on my face would be fine?
And if I have some sort of calcuim or mineral deposit on my plastic of filter would a razor be the good way to clean that too?
Old 10-03-2013, 11:06 PM   #8 
BETTACHKALOVE

How big is your tank?
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:55 AM   #9 
Wynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BETTACHKALOVE View Post
How big is your tank?
I have a 10 and 5 gallon tank.
Old 10-04-2013, 04:29 AM   #10 
Hallyx
Reference Team

The corporados that sell media don't care about your cycle or your fish. They just want to sell more media. They advise cleaning in cold water because they are venal idiots who don't care about you. Got it?

Use a scrubber to clean calcium off plastic. Don't use it on glass; it scratches. That goes for acrylic tanks too.

Tags
betta cleaning tank