Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-24-2009, 07:04 PM   #1 
ElmoFish

Grover wants to be a double-tail..

So, I've had problems with my VT Grover nipping his tail in the past, after big changes, like a new tank.. but today he's been in the same tank for weeks, I did a partial water change on the week-end, and other than that nothings really changed, but he nipped his tail right in the middle, and now it's split like a double-tail. I took pics, but the batteries in my camera died after so I will post them later.

Does anyone else have a tail biter? What do you do about it? Is there anything that could be causing him to bite his tail?

I guess Gio's going to have a companion for salt baths for a while(in a separate container of course)
ElmoFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 07:10 PM   #2 
doggyhog

I have a tail biter. It is only when he is next to another male betta though. My solution, I'm getting a female to put next to him in the divided tank!! :)
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 02:46 AM   #3 
bluebettafish

Oh no that might be what happened to my betta too. I just realized his tail is split in half and it wasn't like that earlier today!!!! I dont' know what to do because I'm trying everything to make it hard for them to see each other but they still find each other every once in a while. The veil tail (the one with torn fin) is really energetic and keeps flaring but the crowntail doesn't seem to care as much. I'm thinking of getting more plants. Any other suggestions???
bluebettafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:01 AM   #4 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebettafish View Post
Oh no that might be what happened to my betta too. I just realized his tail is split in half and it wasn't like that earlier today!!!! I dont' know what to do because I'm trying everything to make it hard for them to see each other but they still find each other every once in a while. The veil tail (the one with torn fin) is really energetic and keeps flaring but the crowntail doesn't seem to care as much. I'm thinking of getting more plants. Any other suggestions???
The VT is probably doing it b/c he doesn't feel comfortable with the CT on the other side. My advice would be to separate them. Mine will flare occasionally at each other, but they don't rip at their fins and they get used to each other eventually. It could be a nervous tick, like with us, sometimes we'll bite our fingernails. I've never had this happen to any of my fish, so I'm not really sure. But if he keeps ripping his tail than I would separate them, keep an eye on him and make sure his fin is healed before you try it out again. I had to put Ruby my CT male into his own tank because he wouldn't stop flaring and I could tell that he was stressed out and now he's happy by himself. Just a suggestion!

Last edited by BettaxFishxCrazy; 09-21-2009 at 10:05 AM.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 03:32 PM   #5 
bluebettafish

Thank you for the advice...and thanks you elmofish for allowing me this thread to figure out what's going on with my fishies.

I just asked my coworker if he'd take the crowntail and he said he wants him. Kind of sad because the crowntail (doesn't have a name yet) is starting to get used to me...but I think he'd be happier. He's really cool looking (dark grey body and red/grey fins) and I think my coworker will like him.

Now the veiltail gets to be all by himself in a 6 gallon tank!! I call him Prince O (Orange) because he's really picky and narcissistic. I should have known he's be way better off alone.
bluebettafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:32 PM   #6 
BettaxFishxCrazy

I'm sorry you have to give up your CT, but it's probably best if you don't have room for him in a separate tank. :(
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote