Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-25-2013, 10:35 AM   #1 
Tamago

Unhappy Sick Fishy...Please Help!

Hello,

This is the first time my fish Ichigo has been ill. I've had him for over a year. Photo attached. I thought maybe it was Ich, but he doesn't really have the telltale white spots. Is it maybe velvet? Though when I shine a flashlight on him, I don't see a gold sheen. I fully changed his water yesterday, and plan on doing at least a partial water change today.

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 gal minibow
What temperature is your tank? 78 degrees, heater is on to raise the temperature right now
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega One pellets, 4-5 per day, freeze-dried bloodworms twice a week
How often do you feed your betta fish? 5 days/week, not on weekends (he's my work desk buddy)

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once/week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 95% usually (he doesn't like being taken out of the tank, so I leave just enough water for him to hang out when I change the water)
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime, 5 drops

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No testing kit yet, sorry :(

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Pale, greyish color change. His body is usually whitish with bright red fins. He just looks washed out these days.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Won't eat, just sits on a leaf near the surface, hasn't moved from there in over 12 hours, sometimes seems to "burp" bubbles violently
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Yesterday morning, he hasn't eaten since then, will not even look at food. Yesteday, he just laid down at the bottom of the tank all day before moving up to the leaf.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I'm not sure what's wrong, but I'm trying to raise the water temperature a bit with my heater, and I've added 1 tsp dissolved aquarium salt to the tank.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No, he is usually very healthy, but has had problems with tail biting in the past.
How old is your fish (approximately)? I'm not sure, but I've owned him for a bit over a year. It depends on how long he was in the pet store, I guess.
Attached Images

Last edited by Tamago; 09-25-2013 at 10:45 AM.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:15 AM   #2 
GillPlusLil

Have you tried adding aquarium salt to his bowl? A lot of times that clears up a lot of issues. However, it really does look like ick to me, but it's hard to tell with his color. Take a look at this website: http://www.bettatalk.com/betta_diseases.htm
Helps me out a lot with my guy. Good luck!
GillPlusLil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:17 AM   #3 
Tamago

Yup, 1 tsp aquarium salt added so far. I think I'll go out on my lunch and try and find some Aquarisol - would that work for Ich?

My coworker, who keeps fish, came over and said he didn't think it looked like Ich. I have no idea what it could be otherwise...
Old 09-25-2013, 11:32 AM   #4 
GillPlusLil

Yes! I hear it works well for ice but not if it's already in advanced stages but give it a try! It helps in preventing and curing a lot! Read the directions and instructions carefully though.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:52 PM   #5 
Tamago

The guy at the pet store didn't know what was wrong with him. He said from the photo that it didn't look like Ich. He said to just keep up with water changes, keep the water warm, and add more aquarium salt. I added another tsp. Still no change in Ichigo.

I bought some Coppersafe just in case, which is supposed to be good for Ich and Velvet, but I don't want to add it if Ichigo doesn't have it. I couldn't find any Aquarisol, and I'm not sure it's actually made anymore! But Coppersafe seems to have the same active ingredient, which is Chelated Copper Sulfate.
Old 09-25-2013, 02:30 PM   #6 
GillPlusLil

I'm not familiar Coppersafe, but if you compared them than that's good! I know you can find aquarisol on Amazon.com though. And yeah, best not to treat him if you're not sure. Just keep up the salt treatments. By chance, do you have a photo of him before he was sick?
Old 09-25-2013, 02:35 PM   #7 
Tamago

He's normally impossible to photograph since he never holds still, but I do have one photo from when I first got him.
Attached Images

Old 09-25-2013, 05:33 PM   #8 
Tamago

Update: Ichigo now laying on his side on the bottom of his tank. I put him in a small plastic container so that he could breathe easier (it's too far for him to swim to the top of the tank). Should I leave him in the tiny container overnight? He looks very bad.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:05 PM   #9 
Tamago

Well, I floated the small container in the main tank and secured it to the side so at least Ichigo might be able to get a little warm and still breathe. I tried balancing him on a leaf like he was earlier in the day, but he just fell right off. I put a betta hammock leaf in the container that he can lay against if he wants. I hope he lasts through the night, but I have doubts :(
Old 09-26-2013, 09:06 AM   #10 
Tamago

Update: Fishy is still alive, and looking a bit better than yesterday! Not as grey, still not moving much, but no longer lying on his side. He ate a pellet and a bloodworm this morning. I'm still keeping him in the small floating cup, and I added a drop or two of Coppersafe to his cup water last night and this morning after I changed out most of his water. Still using aquarium salt. Fingers crossed!
Attached Images