Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-05-2013, 04:42 PM   #1 
polity

Babar's Got a Bump =*(

Hello, y'all! I'm a first timer with my "elephant ear" Betta, Babar. I just purchased him from a local pet store on Friday, so I've had him less than a week.

The first day I brought him home in a bag, I noticed a white bump on his top fin. I thought it was possibly a birth defect and didn't give it much thought. I keep Babar at work and so I look at him a lot. The bump seems to be growing, or maybe I'm just noticing it even more because I'm constantly looking at him (he's active and beautiful).

I've posted some pictures and I'm also answering the conditions of his tank where I purchased him in red as well as his tank in my cubicle.

Any help y'all can offer would be awesome. I've already googled stuff and I'm not really finding any answers.

Description of Bump: appears to be solid white, not cotton-like, cannot tell if it is cauliflower-like, about the size of a grain of rice, if rolled up into a ball.

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gallon tank / 1 gallon tank
What temperature is your tank? no idea / 78 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? yes / yes, charcoal
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?yes / yes
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? no other fish / no other fish

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?no idea/betta pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish?no idea/once a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?no idea/too soon, will perform once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?no idea/25%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?no idea/betta conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: N/A
Nitrite:N/A
Nitrate:N/A
pH:N/A
Hardness:N/A
Alkalinity: N/A

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? pre-existing condition, maybe's it's bigger
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? he's very active, no darting or itching himself
When did you start noticing the symptoms? immediately upon purchase
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? no
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no idea
How old is your fish (approximately)? no idea
Attached Images

polity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:15 AM   #2 
Sakura8

Hi polity and welcome to the forum. :) Babar is a handsome fellow and I love the name. I can see the white spot on his fin and it looks a lot like lymphocystis, a virus that fish get which causes cauliflower-like cysts to grow on the fins and body. Because it's a virus, there is no way to treat it but in most cases, the disease is nonfatal and goes away on its own after a few months. The only time this disease can be fatal is if the cysts grow on the face and interfere with eating or if a cyst bursts and becomes infected. Feeding a good diet helps to bolster the immune system and keeping the water clean helps prevent infection.

For a 1gal tank, I'd suggest doing either 2 50% changes a week or 1 100% change a week to keep ammonia and other nitrogenous wastes down. Using a water conditioner like Seachem Prime will also help because Prime helps to neutralize ammonia.

Hope this helps! Keep us updated and good luck!
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 05:27 PM   #3 
polity

THANK YOU! I'm on it =*)
Old 10-03-2013, 09:46 PM   #4 
ANHEL123

Hey how he doing?
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 01:41 PM   #5 
polity

Unfortunately, the growth has returned. It seems like it's going to start another cycle of growing, bursting, and then regrowing. At least the virus has not spread to any other part of his body. His behaviour is still the same throughout each phase. I'm just trying to keep him comfortable and his water clean.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:09 PM   #6 
ANHEL123

Not sure if there anything you can do as a prevention for the infection. I guess just keep it clean. Wait if Sakura has more recommendations.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 02:35 PM   #7 
LittleBlueFishlets

Lymphocystis is one of the most common viral aquatic diseases. It's usually self-limiting, meaning that the fish's immune system can fight it off within several weeks or months. To help his immune system do this, you can feed a quality diet, reduce stress, and keep the water clean and warm.

Here are three links that contain good information about lymphocystis:

University of Florida - Lymphocystis Disease in Fish

Pet MD - Viral Infection (Lymphocystis) in Fish

Lymphocystis - Info and Cure
LittleBlueFishlets is online now   Reply With Quote