Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-03-2013, 01:22 PM   #1 
TaylerHill

Question Thinking of setting up a sorority in a 10 gallon?

I'm thinking of possibly setting up a sorority in a 10 gallon tank but have some questions. I've seen pictures of sororities on here and they all look like they have live plants. If I put a lot of fake plants will that be ok? Its just that I've never had live plants in a tank before and I'm not sure how hard it would be to maintain. And what type of filter should I get?
TaylerHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:29 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yep, you can use silk plants! Here's a thread I had previously commented on where we used just a few live plants but the rest were all silk plants. You can use all silk plants, no problem. http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=199658

And for filters you can use any sort of hang on back (HOB) filter or a sponge filter, whatever you prefer or have more access to. I like my HOB filter's to slash into the tank because the flow actually helps break up fights between girls if it happens and it most likely will. So it's just a little added help to controlling fights/chases in the sorority
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 03:32 PM   #3 
TaylerHill

That thread was very helpful! I've seen that when you get the bettas you should quarantine them for a few weeks and then float them in their cups in the tank. How would you recommend quarantining them? I would have thought that floating them in their cups would be the same thing as quarantine but maybe I'm wrong. Also should I cycle my tank before I get them or should I cycle it with them in the tank?
Old 10-10-2013, 07:14 AM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

It would be easier to cycle your tank before you put them in, it's just another added stress to them if you don't do it before they go in. You have to keep in mind that being in a sorority is stressful enough on these fish since it isn't actually natural for them to live with other girls, so keeping other stressors out of the equation is a big thing to try to do.

And with QT, you must QT for at least 2 weeks but a month is much better since not all sicknesses can be seen in just two weeks. When I QT mine, I actually do float them in the tank so that once their QT period is over, they can go right into the tank. But some people don't have space in their tank for cups to float so that's why they do their QT period out of the tank and then when they're ready to go in, they have to be floated for a few day's to a week in the tank.

Also, I like to acclimate my girls in QT to the sorority water and then when it's time to change out their water, I take my spare cup, scoop out some sorority water and take the cup that the fish is in and pour out the old water into a bucket, NOT IN THE SORORITY. The reason for QT is to keep disease out so if you put her water in the tank, well that's defeating the entire purpose I actually use my hand to cup them, be very careful if you do this. Your hand must be very clean and you can't do this all the time because you can actually wipe their slime coat off which is obviously not good. They can also jump which also isn't good. So you can actually just dump her into a net over the bucket so if she does fall, it's just in the bucket and not on the floor. And then you put her into the new cup and let her float again
Old 10-10-2013, 09:30 AM   #5 
katrina89

I am thinking about doing this but I want to get more live plants over time and the female I have is very big.
katrina89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:39 AM   #6 
TaylerHill

Awesome thanks for clearing that up for me! I'm so excited to get my tank set up and start picking out girls!
Old 10-10-2013, 09:54 AM   #7 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah! No problem! PM me if you ever have troubles or unclear of something ^_^ or you can just reply to this thread as well lol
Old 10-10-2013, 11:23 AM   #8 
TaylerHill

I thought of another question, what type of filter should I get? And will they need an air stone?
Old 10-10-2013, 03:39 PM   #9 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Nah, no airstone needed. Betta's have a labyrinth organ which means they can and have to breathe regular air so the more surface disturbance there is, the harder for them to get to air it is. Which you don't want to do.

You can get any kind you like, sponge or regular HOB (hang on back) will do just fine. I would go HOB over Internal though since internal ones just never really work well. I use a 5-15 Aqua-Tech from Wal-mart on my 10 and it does what I need it to do. Also in a sorority you don't have to baffle it if you don't want because that will actually deter girls from fighting. Like if they're having a chase, the chaser runs into the stream from the filter and get's knocked off course which let's the chasee get away without being nipped/bitten
Old 10-11-2013, 01:47 AM   #10 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Good advice on QT and acclimation from Lil.

An alternative view on filtering for a sorority:
A 10g sorority is a crowded tank. You'll want as large a bacteria colony as you can grow. The large sponge of a sponge filter give that volume for the colony. Of course, heavy planting (live or silk) is important, as is topcover. This is more area. The aeration provided by a sponge filter is good for a healthy bacteria colony.

I highly recommend you pre-cycle your tank (fishless cycle) for a sorority, which is heavily stocked all at once.

Use "pure" ammonia as an ammonia source; the other methods are smelly and unreliable.You can use bottled bacteria, but you still need ammonia to keep the bacteria growing while you QT and acclimate your fish.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote