Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-03-2013, 03:28 PM   #1 
Nightwisp

Question Ideal Feeding Regimen

Right now my girlfriend and I have 4 male betta splendens. Three are double half moons and one is a single half moon (I really want a crown tail and a delta tail and an elephant ear, wah). They are all in their own five gallon tanks and quite spoiled. We've been looking into foods. We have pellets and blood worms right now but have read they also like a variety of brine shrimp and daphnia throughout the week. So, we're trying to draft a weekly schedule for them for ideal nutrition. Any suggestions?

We're also looking into getting some females (made another thread in a different forum). Is there/should there be any difference in their feeding regimen?
Nightwisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 04:17 PM   #2 
miscanon

Don't have any answers for you except that females should be treated pretty much the same as males, in my experience. I'm sure you're familiar with the warning not to put them together or be very careful if you plan on making a sorority...

And I actually have a question for you. I'm trying to get something other than pellets for my bettas to eat, but they don't really seem to know what to do with bloodworms, lol. What are some other tasty treats that can be found at your run of the mill pet store?
(I don't trust the employees there... >_> )
miscanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 04:21 PM   #3 
Nightwisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by miscanon View Post
Don't have any answers for you except that females should be treated pretty much the same as males, in my experience. I'm sure you're familiar with the warning not to put them together or be very careful if you plan on making a sorority...

And I actually have a question for you. I'm trying to get something other than pellets for my bettas to eat, but they don't really seem to know what to do with bloodworms, lol. What are some other tasty treats that can be found at your run of the mill pet store?
(I don't trust the employees there... >_> )
I plan to take careful steps to make sure the sorority turns out well and (hopefully) no fish are hurt in the process. And the males and females will never be put together unless we plan to breed them (which is highly unlikely at this point).

My fish love their blood worms. But, from reading, they apparently like daphnia and brine shrimp as well; which can all be found at PetsMart or (I'm sure) your local pet store. (':

Last edited by Nightwisp; 10-03-2013 at 04:24 PM.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:29 PM   #4 
babystarz

Those other foods are great, but ideally you should be feeding high quality pellets as a staple at least 4 days a week. Nothing else provides complete nutrition. 2 days of the week can be "treat" days for the live/frozen goodies you've listed, and one day of fasting is good for betta digestion (and because they do not find food every day in the wild, so they have evolved to not eat all the time). New Life Spectrum pellets cannot be beat, and they do come in a size for small fish which can be easier for little females to digest.

The only reason you would need to feed males any differently is if you're getting into breeding. Othwerise, their diet should be the same as for females.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 04:38 PM   #5 
Nightwisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by babystarz View Post
Those other foods are great, but ideally you should be feeding high quality pellets as a staple at least 4 days a week. Nothing else provides complete nutrition. 2 days of the week can be "treat" days for the live/frozen goodies you've listed, and one day of fasting is good for betta digestion (and because they do not find food every day in the wild, so they have evolved to not eat all the time). New Life Spectrum pellets cannot be beat, and they do come in a size for small fish which can be easier for little females to digest.

The only reason you would need to feed males any differently is if you're getting into breeding. Othwerise, their diet should be the same as for females.
Wow, thank you very much. We currently do "treat days" with their blood worms twice a week with Saturdays for fasting. Glad to know we've been doing that well for the most part. As to the New Life Spectrum, there is some available at our local pet store and I can definitely pick that up. Have you dealt with Aqueon pellets (this is what are fish are eating now) or do you know if they are a good quality?
Old 10-03-2013, 04:39 PM   #6 
MorganC2010

@babystarz - is the the new life spectrum you mentioned? Or is there one for bettas?

http://www.petco.com/product/112085/...Fish-Food.aspx
MorganC2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 04:42 PM   #7 
MorganC2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwisp View Post
Have you dealt with Aqueon pellets (this is what are fish are eating now) or do you know if they are a good quality?
Hello! I have experience with aqueon, I work at a Lfs who doesn't sell new life (hince why I asked about it) but we have to feed our bettas in the store aqueon and they all get bloat quite often. It's not a great food at all. Mine all do much better on the omega one they get here at home. I have 4 bettas my self.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:43 PM   #8 
Nightwisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganC2010 View Post
Hello! I have experience with aqueon, I work at a Lfs who doesn't sell new life (hince why I asked about it) but we have to feed our bettas in the store aqueon and they all get bloat quite often. It's not a great food at all. Mine all do much better on the omega one they get here at home. I have 4 bettas my self.
Ah, thank you. So, I should definitely look into getting new feed.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:46 PM   #9 
MorganC2010

I would say yes! I feed mine omega one but I'm looking into new life as well just comparing prices and ingredients.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:49 PM   #10 
babystarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganC2010 View Post
There is a betta-specific formula but the difference might just be in the packaging? The betta formula probably has more animal protein due to bettas being exclusive carnivores. All of their products are highly nutritious in any case:

http://www.amazon.com/New-Life-Spect.../dp/B0038JTL1Y

Aqueon pellets have fillers, including gluten, which fish are not meant to digest and can cause both bloating and constipation. This is true of most "big brand" fish foods. If you see a non-meat ingredient listed in the first three spots, the food is not going to offer optimal nutrition to a betta.

Last edited by babystarz; 10-03-2013 at 04:51 PM.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote