Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-23-2009, 12:19 AM   #1 
Rain Drop

Blind fish!

Okay, so I sort of posted about this before, and, well.....hopefully someone can relate to me and help out!

So about four times now my fish has gone blind. It'll happen on the most random days and it's only at night when it gets dark. His head will go pale and he'll swim into things and won't react to anything. The strange thing is about it is he'll be completely fine about an hour or so later.

Like I said this has only happened a few times....and he defiantly doesn't have popeye.
He's also had a case of fin rot ever since I got him and is going away VERY slowly, but I don't feel it has anything to do with it....

Any thoughts?
Rain Drop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 06:55 PM   #2 
xdancexbethy

my fish has the same thing going on, but he looks like he might die has your fish recovered?
xdancexbethy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 08:21 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

Jungle Fungus Eliminator can be used to treat cloudy eyes. You can try that and see if it makes a difference.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 10:01 PM   #4 
Vikki81207

Yeah I would try JFE
Vikki81207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 08:13 AM   #5 
Kim

Well, they all get more pale at night when they sleep. When I turn on the lights to go to bed (my fish lights have been off for hours by them) my fish are all sleeping. Most of the time they don't react, but if I leave the room lights on too long it half wakes them up and they sometimes slowly swim a bit and bump into things with their noses. Sometimes they wobbily come over to see me. It's just like how if you wake up in the middle of the night you may stumble around groggily and you vision will probably be blurry for a few minutes. The funniest thing that ever happened to me was one time when I checked in on Victor before I went to bed I noticed him swimming in a wierd fashion. He wasn't using his pectoral fins at all and was just wiggling his way through the water into his pot to get away from the light! It really was an odd sight :P I've never seen him do it since though....silly fish.

I wouldn't worry about it if it's not a problem all the time. He's just sleepy ;)
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:12 AM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

They're like us...they don't like going from dark to bright light.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:17 AM   #7 
ScentedLove

I agree he's probably just sleepy ;)
ScentedLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 04:50 PM   #8 
LaniBaby

indeed, my dark dark blue fish gets a white belly and white eyes when he's asleep. Even the lighter color fish's black eyes goes white at night, even after just a few hours of the lights off. As soon as dawn comes, tho, they color right back up.
LaniBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 05:05 PM   #9 
Rain Drop

Thank-you everyone!
after observing him more I've concluded the same thing, that's his vision just goes a bit off when the light goes on from complete darkness....since his vision does come back after a while when the light has been turned on for a bit.

and to xdancexbethy, yes, he's recovered.....in fact he always recovers after at least an hour from when the light gets turned back on.
Rain Drop is offline   Reply With Quote