Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-25-2009, 04:21 PM   #1 
lehonea

live plants and fin damage?

I have a 3 gallon Marine Land filtered tank for my new Betta. I removed all the plastic plants from the tank for fin damage reasons. What are some good live plants for my tank size and Bettas?

My Betta had some fin damage when I bought him. I believe it was from flaring up so much. He does it a lot still. Is there any thing I can do to help them heal faster? He seems very healthy other than his beat up fins.

Thanks for any advice
lehonea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:09 PM   #2 
dr2b

What watt is your lightbulb?
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:34 AM   #3 
BakaMandy

Silk plants are a good alternative too. :)
BakaMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 07:03 AM   #4 
dr2b

I should have added this to my previous message (mind me I just started back to college and I'm not quite there on sleeping yet). I asked the wattage of your lightbulb because that determines what you can get sometimes. You need at least 1.5 watts per gallon. I'd go with something that is really easy to take care of. Crypt is pretty easy, anacharis is pretty easy, and usually grasses (such as dwarf hairgrass). I keep amazon sword also. It is actually doing fabulous in my 5 gallon - but I had to buy root tabs to help it survive (which are like $9) and I only have to put them in every 3-4 months. I'd go for a plant that doesn't require a lot of CO2 also.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:54 AM   #5 
lehonea

I own the Marineland Eclipse 3 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._ya_oh_product. I will look for the wattage when I get home. Thanks for the reply's!
lehonea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 02:52 PM   #6 
dr2b

I ahve the Eclipse corner 5, and I have a 10 watt CFL. Also, if you get live plants, please make sure you have a daylight spectrum light for your tank. Usually on the marineland product instructions they say you can replace the incandescent bulb that comes with it with a certain wattage CFL.

I will say Flair is really happy with his plants. He always rests inside the crypt plant, or hides behind the amazon sword. If my lfs ever gets any more plants in I plan on getting some more lol.