Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-03-2013, 08:34 PM   #1 
Zombinator1

Baby Betta

I lost the thread I was looking for...but maybe it would be more personal, and helpful to newcomers like me to just have a thread with some opinions or general information.

Everytime I go into petco I am taken with their Baby Betta Fish, and have been contemplating giving raising one a go. But in the research I am doing, I am just finding a lot of convoluted controversy. Such as is it right to support Petco's endeveor in selling baby's, what the odd's are of them living and actually growing to full size. I have seen people saying that they need anywhere from 1 to 30 gallons. Some say new spectrum baby formula, and others live food. That you can tell the gender depending on how old they are, and some say there is no way to trut know. The only constant I am seeing is that the temperature needs to be warm.

So hopefully it is okay to start a new thread on this here, but really I am just curious. What should I know? And what are some opions, if anyone is inclined to enlighten me.
Zombinator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 03:44 PM   #2 
TiffanyP

There is another thread, the Petco Baby betta thread, found here: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....87438&page=169

As for babies I have 3, though one isn't so much a baby anymore, and while I'm maybe not an expert, I feel confident in caring for them :)

I would not suggest a 1 gallon tank as frequent water changes are necessary. Babies give off a growth stunting hormone, which in the wild is a defense mechanism, but in their own personal little home it backfires - so daily/every other day water changes are needed. A 1 gallon would need daily water changes, I have one in a 2 gallon (upgrading soon) and in an 8 day period he gets two 50% changes and two 100% changes.

Water does need to be warm, and preferably a constant temperature. I keep my babies' water at 82.

Feeding them can be tricky, as if you get them small enough they can't get a pellet in their mouth. A lot of people crush pellets for the babies - I prefer to use the New Life Spectrum small fish formula; it's the perfect size pellet for a baby. Live/frozen foods are also great if you have access to them. My boys get bloodworms once a week as a treat once they're big enough to eat them, you can also crush or cut up the bloodworms too for them.

They like to have places to hide - each of my boys, even the adults, have a cave and then either 1 large plant or two smaller plants depending on tank size. I try to get an even amount of places to hide and also give them enough swimming room.

As for the controversy - I completely understand. For a newbie betta owner, if they just walk in and grab a baby betta and a lil glass bowl chances are the baby probably won't live very long. But then there are others who do their research first and who have great luck with their babies. My oldest one I've had for almost 4 months and while I think I stunted his growth (from being in a 1 gallon with only 2 water changes a week) he's doing very well. I hope to have him until he's a ripe old age, same with my other 2 babies.

As for gender - if they're clear/see through it's pretty easy to tell because either they have ovaries or they don't lol

Hop on over to the baby betta thread I linked up above and there are many people who can help you out and answer any questions you might have :) Babies really are so much fun to have and to watch them grow!
TiffanyP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 03:46 PM   #3 
Perocore

Both of my mother's bettas were purchased as tiny, colorless little things from Petco. Now one is finally fully grown and looking gorgeous in his light blue colors, and the other, a little girl, is finally coming into her yellow and black coloration.

Each was raised in a 1 gallon "cube" type tank (with live plants, filters, etc) and fed Spectrum Baby Formula, which they thrived on. They do not have heaters but the water stayed at about 78 degrees, and they both grew very quickly and are very healthy. We weren't able to tell the sex of either betta until they were 4-6 months of age, at least not for certain. Now the female (who is younger than the male by several months) has developed eggs, so is clearly female.

I'm a little surprised others have had trouble with the little ones. Those two are the healthiest of any of our bettas, and both grow well and have always eaten well.

I think that if you are willing to put in the bit of extra effort (getting the right amount of food into the tank) then I'd say go for it. All of the babies I've seen at our local Petco have been healthy with clean water, and are purchased very quickly. I'm not sure about the morality of supporting it, but it's not like we have anywhere else up here to get babies.
Perocore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:16 PM   #4 
Zombinator1

Ah. There is the thread I was looking for, I had been sifting through it and lost where it went. Thanks for linking it. :)

So it is the lack of water change and not the 1 gallon itself that stunts their growth? I did read that the smaller tank can effect their growth. But the water changes make sense. I have a one gallon bowl, not really cube or tank shaped, with a heater at the moment. Will that work well?

What do the ovaries look like? I would really prefer a male, but a healthy fish is more important to me overall.

Can you buy the formula at Petco as well, or does that only available online?

Thank you both, your contributions have helped me to feel much more confident and informed.
Zombinator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:20 PM   #5 
TiffanyP

If it's heated and you do daily water changes it should be okay :)

The ovaries are yellow and triangular shaped - if you shine a flashlight through the opposite site of your fish, so the light is shining towards you, you should be able to see the ovaries. Do you have a couple of clear pictures that you can post?

The small fish formula can be bought at Petco, and it will last you FOREVER lol

And you are very welcome :)
TiffanyP is online now   Reply With Quote