Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-05-2013, 06:37 PM   #11 
ashleylyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyBetta View Post
Lol, great dad. ;) My dad didn't want any fish in the house but kept pestering him and finally even wrote a research paper on bettas. XD That got him. Haha, now they've sort of grown on him. He asks me how they're doing and comes to the tank and watches them sometimes. Gallifrey is his favorite. ;)

Can't wait for pics!! :D Man, I just gotta say, that black sand really looks gorgeous in there.
Haha my dad used to have a 55g tank so he at least has *some* knowledge. If anything really goes wrong, school is only 30 minutes from my house so I can always run home. Plus I'll be working by my house too this week, so I'll be in the area to keep everything in check.

And thank you, I love the black sand and the contrast it provides! It really brings out everyone's colors. I prefer sororities to have more cover than this, but my girls have been together a while now and there really are a lot of plants at the surface to hide in. I may add some more in the upcoming week, too.

Pictures - I think I notice plant growth already.

ashleylyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:55 PM   #12 
ashleylyn

Tested the ammonia a second time today, hours after adding all of the bettas/guppies/cories and after feeding. Ammonia was still at 0ppm. Hopefully it stays that way!
Old 10-05-2013, 10:00 PM   #13 
RowdyBetta

Hooray for pictures! And for 0 ammonia! :D Your tank looks fantastic and your fish (and snails! ;D) are beautiful!

I'd love to have cories someday, but I don't know if 5-6 are ideal in a 10g with a betta and nerite? A tank with just cories would be cool too. X3
RowdyBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 01:48 PM   #14 
peachii

Looks really great, you did a great job. If I were you I would give it a month to grow in before you buy more plants, just in case you have a diatom bloom and make sure it doesn't choke out any plants. Almost all the plants I sent you have a crazy high growth rate and should grow in pretty quickly - sub 1 month- to be tall for the girls. Much easier to clean and water change for the diatoms if the plants aren't quite as crazy tall and packed in there. Sometimes it's hard to get it all cleaned if you have to many plants stuffed in. After the first 2 months or so any diatom blooms you have should be gone.

The snails look very happy, glad you are all enjoying them and they found a great new home. I have TONS of babies growing and just had 2 more clutches hatch yesterday of the dark purple shell/ dark purple black foot - can't wait to see what the babies look like from these.
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 05:06 PM   #15 
ashleylyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachii View Post
Looks really great, you did a great job. If I were you I would give it a month to grow in before you buy more plants, just in case you have a diatom bloom and make sure it doesn't choke out any plants. Almost all the plants I sent you have a crazy high growth rate and should grow in pretty quickly - sub 1 month- to be tall for the girls. Much easier to clean and water change for the diatoms if the plants aren't quite as crazy tall and packed in there. Sometimes it's hard to get it all cleaned if you have to many plants stuffed in. After the first 2 months or so any diatom blooms you have should be gone.

The snails look very happy, glad you are all enjoying them and they found a great new home. I have TONS of babies growing and just had 2 more clutches hatch yesterday of the dark purple shell/ dark purple black foot - can't wait to see what the babies look like from these.
Thank you for the information and compliment peachii, I appreciate it! I need to test my ammonia again today, hopefully it's still at 0. How often do you think I should be doing WCs while the plants are still growing? I figure it's best to ask you since you know your plants. :p

And I adore the snails! They are so much fun to watch, my dad and sister come in all of the time and ask where the giant one is so they can watch him move around the tank lol. Those dark purple shells/purple-black foot snails sound gorgeous. I can't wait to see pictures of them as they mature. :D
Old 10-06-2013, 05:16 PM   #16 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Pretty!
Have you thought about putting a black paper background on the tank? :p Really puts the focus on the tank.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 06:30 PM   #17 
ashleylyn

That's not a bad idea, thank you!

I tested the ammonia. It looked like it was between 0 and .25ppm before so I did a 10-15% WC and it's back down to 0. :)
Old 10-07-2013, 02:10 PM   #18 
ashleylyn

My sorority is crashing. Two had passed in my cycled tank very quickly but with hardly any symptoms. Fine, then gone. :( Now some kind of rot is taking my other girls. I have some in quarantine being treated but I don't think they're going to make it. :( it's like ridiculously accelerated rot, I can only presume this is what got my other girls too so quickly. I'm doing all I can.. If they all pass, I'm taking a long break from a sorority I think.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:21 PM   #19 
RowdyBetta

Oh no! :( I hope they make it! *hugs*
RowdyBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:37 PM   #20 
ashleylyn

Me too, I love them. :(