Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-25-2009, 10:39 PM   #1 
BBgirl

Exclamation Filter Mods needed

I have a Hagen Elite Mini filter in my tanks and even on the lowest setting the current is a bit to high for my babies. It's not that I expect to find them dead tomorrow or anything but I need to get ideas about how to modify it so it still does what it's meant to do but with less current to make it hard for the fish to swim against it.
BBgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 10:41 PM   #2 
neenjar

Use piece of plastic soda or water bottle as a diffuser on the outlet, I do that on my penguin 100's and it works great.
neenjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 10:55 PM   #3 
BBgirl

ok I tried a water bottle a couple different ways today but neither stayed in place. So I probably didn't do the same thing you did. Can you tell me how to do it? Please.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:07 AM   #4 
Kim

I did the same thing. What I did was take a plastic water bottle and cut both ends off. Now you have a plastic tube, which you then cut lengthwise so that you have a curved plastic piece. Tape one end to your filter cover, and stretch the other end so that it curls around the outflow area.

Here's a pic of mine:
Name:  IMG_0301.JPG
Views: 79
Size:  76.1 KB

Sorry I don't have a better pic. I actually took that one to show a different angle of my setup but I think you can get the picture.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 10:25 AM   #5 
BBgirl

My filter is an internal submersible however I did wrap the tube and Rusty does seem to enjoy his whole tank now instead of just one side of it. Thank you all so much. This will definately do until I can get a different type of filter. Didn't work in Tomato's tank though. Rusty's is rectangular but Tomato has a bow and there isn't any flat surface to help support the plastic tube.