Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-04-2013, 11:57 PM   #11 
trilobite

I bred heaps when I was at uni and away pretty much all day, they dont really take up that much time. Give them some food before you leave, give them some more when you come back. Then you can go out again if you want.
The most time consuming bit ime is making sure you havent sucked up any fry during water changes lol.
Once youve jarred them they take a bit more time since they need more wc depending on your jarring methods. If they are in drilled soda bottles placed into a big tank/tub then you can just do one big wc since the bottles will all share the same water. But if each fish is in a separate tank/jar they will need their own individual wc

Just make sure you get a decent pair so you are breeding nice fish instead of mutts
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 12:13 AM   #12 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I'm balancing school, building a website, the rest of my life, and two spawns right now...
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 12:17 AM   #13 
LittleBettaFish

Or you get into spawning wild bettas and then you can breed, grow-out and rear fry to adulthood in the same tank as the parents depending on the species and the temperament of your original breeding pair.

But you know, just putting that out there.... haha
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 12:28 AM   #14 
PetMania

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
Or you get into spawning wild bettas and then you can breed, grow-out and rear fry to adulthood in the same tank as the parents depending on the species and the temperament of your original breeding pair.

But you know, just putting that out there.... haha
That...is one of the MANY pros of owning wild bettas. People think that all bettas, wild or not, are extremely aggressive. Totally not the case.
PetMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 12:29 AM   #15 
Aluka

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
I'm balancing school, building a website, the rest of my life, and two spawns right now...

I must be the only person that was rarely home in my early 20s then. Spawn away then! lol
Aluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 12:32 AM   #16 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Lol no... It's because I am efficient with my work... It takes me probably less then 1/2 and hour a day to raise two spawns.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 12:43 AM   #17 
hollyk

Wow, once again, thanks for the advice everyone! I'll have to think about that with the wild bettas! haha

Don't worry Aluka- I know exactly where you're coming from! I actually am in my late 20s (I got a degree in veterinary technology, practiced for a few years, got burned out, and decided to go back to school) so I'm a little older than some students. I don't quite know how to describe my busy lifestyle. I'm frequently gone for class and office hours (I'm a teaching assistant), but I'm always home at night and on the weekends. I have a cat with stress-related health problems, so I never leave her overnight, or she panics and pees all over the couch! I do spend a lot of time in my apartment, but it's also a lot of productive "working" time- writing a thesis, grading papers, etc. I guess as far as time goes, I was wondering how much anxiety will be related with the time needed for the spawn. I mean, I'll be able to take care of them, I'm sure, but then would I be up all night doing homework or something? It sounds like they're time-consuming, but not as bad as I had wondered. In any case, though, this semester is actually a particularly bad one, between my thesis and a very difficult class I'm assisting, so this semester probably isn't a good time. Maybe I'll start it over the holiday. Once I finish the thesis, things will get better! Anyways, Aluka, I do appreciate your advice and perspective.

Like I've said, I will be doing my research before jumping into things. Although I'm not particularly knowledgeable about betta breeding, I want to do it right. I won't be breeding pet store bettas or my rescue boys, obviously. I have to look more into genetics before I choose a breeding pair, though.

One of my biggest concerns with breeding them is getting rid of the spawn, actually. It's something that I'd like to do once, and then I don't know if I would breed again. I live in a pretty decent sized city (actually the capital city of my state) but I can't seem to find anyone on Craigslist selling or interested in bettas, or shows in my area. So I don't know how big the market is here. I know I could sell some online, but I don't know how many. It's all about how many bettas I end up with, I guess. I'm just concerned about not having enough homes for all of them. So that's another good reason to use "good" bettas for breeding- make the little ones more desirable! :)

I'll post a picture here of the male I just ordered. I don't know if he's one that I'll be breeding or not, but he's just pretty and I love him. I can't wait to get him! :)
hollyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 12:46 AM   #18 
hollyk

Here he is! Name suggestions?
Attached Images

Old 10-08-2013, 02:22 PM   #19 
snowflake311

Lovely fish I love the color.

Start looking for a mate. It takes time to find the perfect fish. When you feel ready do it! But be ready to ship your fish. Selling on line and shipping is your best bet for finding homes.
snowflake311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:25 PM   #20 
hollyk

Thank you! I think he's beautiful.

How does this gal look as a mate??
Attached Images