Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-04-2013, 01:25 AM   #1 
beautiful Betta

Question Plakat VS longer tail types.

ok, thinking for the future when I want to buy another boy, there are many things to consider, what style and tail type? Now I have to say I love the halfmoons and my current guy is a halfmoon. But having said that when you buy a halfmoon, you generally are going on pictures of them showing off those fabulous fins of theirs. Now when we get them in our tanks they have to deal with slight water movement, if filtered. (I will always go filtered) and ornaments and plants. Now over my time of owning bettas many a halfmoon, as darted round his new tank and torn or damaged one or more of his beautiful fins, now they do generally heal but they never really heal quite the same as before. Plus my current guy doesn't display anyway, he's healthy though he never has been much of a displayer, and when he does that is usually when he would damage a fin, despite my best efforts of checking everything for sharp edges, cutting and filing any edges points away.

Now since coming to this forum I have noticed many here own plakat tail types, and I just wanted to now how to they fare up in a pet tank environment. Do they cope better with filter movement? How do you find they cope with keeping their fins intact with ornaments, plants and such?
Do they tend to look more like they do in their sale's pictures, having a shorter tail do they tend to display them more frequent?
Do they heal better if they get damaged?

Last edited by beautiful Betta; 10-04-2013 at 01:27 AM.
beautiful Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 01:41 AM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

I had several plakats and I love them! They're every bit as pretty as the long tailed bettas. I guess it's just preference and what catches your eye when you go fish shopping.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 01:45 AM   #3 
beautiful Betta

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
I had several plakats and I love them! They're every bit as pretty as the long tailed bettas. I guess it's just preference and what catches your eye when you go fish shopping.
thanks.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:43 AM   #4 
Polkadot

I have only ever had Veiltails (which I love!) until recently when I bought my BEAUTIFUL Plakat boy Mako. I thought I would only ever have/want Veiltails but now that will always be Veiltails & Plakats.Mako is just wonderful,so friendly & energetic and absolutely stunning,the colours that have come out in him since I've had him are amazing.His fins are also extremely strong looking and the filter doesn't bother him at all.So yes I would definitely recommend getting a Plakat for sure.I love the long flowy fins of my Veiltail boys but must say that I equally love the look of my Plakat boy,they are all gorgeous!
Polkadot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:21 PM   #5 
Mary Kathryn

I've been thinking about the same thing, beautiful Betta. My HMDT likes to nip his own fins quite a bit. Right after I got him he gave his beautiful dorsal a "mohawk." Since it's an ongoing issue even with hidey places and surface plants galore -I can only guess they must impair his movement- I'm always on my toes when it comes to water quality.
I know plakats can and will bite their fins as well but I don't think it's as common. My PetSmart has had some fantastic plakats available but I don't have a place for another betta yet. I'm going to start putting a 5 gallon together next week and get it cycling. I want to give one a home.

I think I may have gone off on a tangent. Sorry 'bout that.
Mary Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:09 PM   #6 
beautiful Betta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polkadot View Post
I have only ever had Veiltails (which I love!) until recently when I bought my BEAUTIFUL Plakat boy Mako. I thought I would only ever have/want Veiltails but now that will always be Veiltails & Plakats.Mako is just wonderful,so friendly & energetic and absolutely stunning,the colours that have come out in him since I've had him are amazing.His fins are also extremely strong looking and the filter doesn't bother him at all.So yes I would definitely recommend getting a Plakat for sure.I love the long flowy fins of my Veiltail boys but must say that I equally love the look of my Plakat boy,they are all gorgeous!
Polkadot, thankyou for your response it is great to get the perspective of someone who has a long finned type to compare with, its also good to know that they seem to cope better with the filters, and get around the tank well.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:23 PM   #7 
beautiful Betta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Kathryn View Post
I've been thinking about the same thing, beautiful Betta. My HMDT likes to nip his own fins quite a bit. Right after I got him he gave his beautiful dorsal a "mohawk." Since it's an ongoing issue even with hidey places and surface plants galore -I can only guess they must impair his movement- I'm always on my toes when it comes to water quality.
I know plakats can and will bite their fins as well but I don't think it's as common. My PetSmart has had some fantastic plakats available but I don't have a place for another betta yet. I'm going to start putting a 5 gallon together next week and get it cycling. I want to give one a home.

I think I may have gone off on a tangent. Sorry 'bout that.
I sometimes watch my guy swimming around, and at times it seems a effort, with all the tail he has to drag around, lol, and my tank has a very gentle filter flow so gentle not even the plants move slightly, although my flow is angled into a corner. But I just wanted to start this thread to get some perspective from people with plakats they may also own longer finned types. like I said I love the long fins, but quite often they are bred and sold in small cups with no water movement no ornaments or anything to damage those beautiful fins. The wild type are closer to the plakats in finage so I guess it is natural to assume the plakats will get around and maintain their fins better in a pet environment.

The other thing I am curious about is the big ear types, I personally am not sure how I feel on them, sure they look pretty, but can they even swim that well with all that extra fin?
Old 10-05-2013, 11:28 PM   #8 
beautiful Betta

oh anyone reading please don't feel I am slamming long finned betta's my boy is long finned, and I adore him, but he does easily damage fins, and I guess it is pretty common that the long finned types do manage to damage their fins and I just want to know if the plakat owners have the same issues or not.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:40 PM   #9 
PetMania

I have an HM that turned into a PK....guess how that happened.
I think that all tail types are beautiful. I don't really have a favorite....well maybe RT.
PetMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:49 PM   #10 
beautiful Betta

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetMania View Post
I have an HM that turned into a PK....guess how that happened.
I think that all tail types are beautiful. I don't really have a favorite....well maybe RT.
yes I can guess, I agree all tail types are beautiful. RT I guess you mean round Tail?