Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-05-2013, 11:49 PM   #11 
jadaBlu

I have two plakats both have great personalities. The one I got from Petsmart recently has is white with beautiful light blue highlights. Even his eyelids are light blue. He has pinkish lipstick! Finding one you like should be no problem. Some plakats can be very speedy racing back and forth in a tank which makes them entertaining to watch.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 12:05 AM   #12 
beautiful Betta

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadaBlu View Post
I have two plakats both have great personalities. The one I got from Petsmart recently has is white with beautiful light blue highlights. Even his eyelids are light blue. He has pinkish lipstick! Finding one you like should be no problem. Some plakats can be very speedy racing back and forth in a tank which makes them entertaining to watch.
Thanks Jadablu, for your reply. How do you find them in maintaining their fins? do they rip or tear them? or do they stay torn free?

If they do damage their fins how quickly do they heal?
beautiful Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 12:22 AM   #13 
jadaBlu

I don't have not had any problem so far with fins. They are not hampered by heavy fins so they don't seem bothered by them. You may find that if you gradually expose your halfmoon to your new plakat he may stop his fin biting. I have fin biter that has reduced his biting for two reasons IMO. I added live floating plants to his tank (biggest reason) I also put craft mesh between his tank and his neighbor. So he has an obscured view of his neighbor and I think it entertains him a little bit. I don't think his fins will go back to the original length but they are not ragged now. I could tell after he bit them he was really enjoying being able to swim faster. I am pretty sure if they ever get to heavy he will "trim" them. The floating plants really seemed to make him happier and I noticed the raggedness went away and saw growth at that point. The light I am used is not even supposed to be able to grow plants but it's working fine. You don't have to buy expensive lights to support floating plants.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 12:33 AM   #14 
LizbethDawn

It seems no matter what I do my long finned fish either get finrot or bite their fins off. I just realized I only have one long finned fish left because my daughter likes the pretty fins and he just got stuck in a plant yesterday that he shouldn't have gotten caught in and he lost some tail to that.

I have 4 plakats besides him and I like them. I have an EE, DT, a HM and a giant that are all plakat tail types.
LizbethDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 01:49 AM   #15 
beautiful Betta

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadaBlu View Post
I don't have not had any problem so far with fins. They are not hampered by heavy fins so they don't seem bothered by them. You may find that if you gradually expose your halfmoon to your new plakat he may stop his fin biting. I have fin biter that has reduced his biting for two reasons IMO. I added live floating plants to his tank (biggest reason) I also put craft mesh between his tank and his neighbor. So he has an obscured view of his neighbor and I think it entertains him a little bit. I don't think his fins will go back to the original length but they are not ragged now. I could tell after he bit them he was really enjoying being able to swim faster. I am pretty sure if they ever get to heavy he will "trim" them. The floating plants really seemed to make him happier and I noticed the raggedness went away and saw growth at that point. The light I am used is not even supposed to be able to grow plants but it's working fine. You don't have to buy expensive lights to support floating plants.
Thanks jadaBlu, That is really good to know that the plakat's don't seem to have any problems with fin damage. I think you may have got a little confused with my thread and another, tail bitting my boy hasn't got any issues with that. lol
Old 10-06-2013, 01:52 AM   #16 
beautiful Betta

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizbethDawn View Post
It seems no matter what I do my long finned fish either get finrot or bite their fins off. I just realized I only have one long finned fish left because my daughter likes the pretty fins and he just got stuck in a plant yesterday that he shouldn't have gotten caught in and he lost some tail to that.

I have 4 plakats besides him and I like them. I have an EE, DT, a HM and a giant that are all plakat tail types.
lizbethDawn thankyou for your thoughts on Plakats compared to the longer finned betta's it really does seem that on a whole the plakats really have less issues in regards to damaging their fins.
Old 10-06-2013, 05:14 AM   #17 
Polkadot

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautiful Betta View Post
Polkadot, thankyou for your response it is great to get the perspective of someone who has a long finned type to compare with, its also good to know that they seem to cope better with the filters, and get around the tank well.
You're welcome!
Polkadot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 05:22 AM   #18 
Polkadot

Quote:
oh anyone reading please don't feel I am slamming long finned betta's my boy is long finned, and I adore him, but he does easily damage fins, and I guess it is pretty common that the long finned types do manage to damage their fins and I just want to know if the plakat owners have the same issues or not.
Yes it sure is true that the long finned boys can get their little fins tattered easily sometimes,be it from the water flow,playing amongst plants or just zooming around etc.I look at the long finned boys as kind of being like someone having long hair,when your hair is neatly brushed & you just sit around in your room it will stay that way,but if you go out & run around and play it will get tangled,unless you are a Plakat,then it is like having your hair in a bun which will stay neat,even when you play.
Old 10-06-2013, 05:42 AM   #19 
beautiful Betta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polkadot View Post
Yes it sure is true that the long finned boys can get their little fins tattered easily sometimes,be it from the water flow,playing amongst plants or just zooming around etc.I look at the long finned boys as kind of being like someone having long hair,when your hair is neatly brushed & you just sit around in your room it will stay that way,but if you go out & run around and play it will get tangled,unless you are a Plakat,then it is like having your hair in a bun which will stay neat,even when you play.
oh I just love that way of looking at it, it is so true.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:37 AM   #20 
Polkadot

Quote:
oh I just love that way of looking at it, it is so true.

hee hee,it really is.I think I'm a bit of a Veiltail as my hair is always getting tattered,I have to be more like a Plakat & wear a bun when outside.