Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-25-2009, 07:01 PM   #1 
Rotten

Getting a new tank

I'm going to be setting up my Betta in a 5/10 (on the fence) gallon soon, with a Corey (Corie? Cory? Whatever) catfish. Does anyone have any recommendations? Filters, heaters, etc.

The tank is going to be cycling while I'm on vacation, for about a week. I'm a bit worried though, because ammonia levels in my one gallon keep spiking every few days. Anything to do about that too?

Last edited by Rotten; 08-25-2009 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Spelling
Rotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 07:14 PM   #2 
Kim

I'd recommend for a 5 gal with a betta and cories:

-25 watt stealth Visi-Therm heater....the best heater IMO
-sand substrate: gravel can damage the barbels on cory catfish and makes feeding them quite difficult as well
-any small filter will work. I have an azoo palm filter and it works well. I like it because it has an adjustable flow, the only thing I don't like is it's a little loud for my bedroom

You're doing a fishless cycle while on vacation right? As for the 1 gal. I'd change the water every other day at least, maybe every day if you're having problems.

Hope this helps!
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 07:18 PM   #3 
Rotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim View Post
I'd recommend for a 5 gal with a betta and cories:

-25 watt stealth Visi-Therm heater....the best heater IMO
-sand substrate: gravel can damage the barbels on cory catfish and makes feeding them quite difficult as well
-any small filter will work. I have an azoo palm filter and it works well. I like it because it has an adjustable flow, the only thing I don't like is it's a little loud for my bedroom

You're doing a fishless cycle while on vacation right? As for the 1 gal. I'd change the water every other day at least, maybe every day if you're having problems.

Hope this helps!
Thanks! However, one thing....

By on vacation, I mean I'll be about 50 miles away. So that's why I'm worried, because I cant change the water.
Rotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 07:25 PM   #4 
veganchick

you will need to purchase a group of cories so that they thrive. they don't do well alone. in a 5 gallon panda or pygmy cories are your best bet
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 07:38 PM   #5 
puppyrjjkm

I would go for the 10. I have both a 10 and 2, five gallons. I definetly prefer the 10. That way you could divide it in the future, if you wanted too. Plus more room for the cories. :)
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 06:02 AM   #6 
Kim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotten View Post
Thanks! However, one thing....

By on vacation, I mean I'll be about 50 miles away. So that's why I'm worried, because I cant change the water.
How long will you be gone? If ammonia is building up that fast, then you may have to ask a responsible person to change the water while you're gone. Or just try to stick him in a larger container while you're gone.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote