Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-04-2013, 06:23 AM   #1 
Kittiesdragons

Literal dream tank

So I guess I've had betta on the brain because last night I dreamt I set up my 10 gallon In it I put black sand, that hair like grass, water wisteria, natural rock hides, and a divider down the middle. It housed two of my male bettas (one on each side of course), six endler guppies (3 each side), a sprinkling of shrimp for each side, and one nerite snail that was moved over to the other side every three days or so... I might be crazy and this tank may be overstocked but... could it work?
Kittiesdragons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:58 AM   #2 
litelboyblu

Hmm to me it sounds overstocked maybe 2 bettas (each side) lol and sparkling shrimp on each side this is my opinion though
litelboyblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 11:33 AM   #3 
Kittiesdragons

LOL I figure it's probably overstocked but it was only a dream *sigh* Or it could be a sign that I need to get off my lazy butt and actually set up that 10 gallon!
Old 10-04-2013, 11:54 AM   #4 
Kittiesdragons

I actually looked on AqAdvisor and the set up minus the snail came up about 85% stocked so not bad. Not sure if I'd ever do it but it sounds cool.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:19 AM   #5 
ashleylyn

I don't think that sounds overstocked. My 10g is overstocked, but I keep up on all of my WCs and have a good number of live plants and have had no issues or stressed fish. Some people are really conservative with stocking and others are willing to take more of a risk (which translates to more work for you). You could always try it and keep an eye on your water parameters and if it didn't work, have a back up tank for the guppies? I'm sure some will disagree with me, but that's just my input. :) Definitely let the tank cycle though. Have you considered adding more plants than what you mentioned above? Lots of plants is sure to help (and it looks nice too)!

If you want more details on my 10g stocking (plant and fish), feel free to drop me a PM.
ashleylyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 06:59 AM   #6 
Kittiesdragons

When I only listed those three plants I meant for them to be like "ground cover" in my dream you couldn't even really see the floor so it would be chock full of plants. Hmmm I'll have to dwell on this some more. I think I may go ahead and start building it (i.e. setting up the tank for plants and such and then just put my two boys in it and go from there >^..^<
Old 10-09-2013, 05:15 AM   #7 
RussellTheShihTzu

If you make an acrylic divider with .25" holes, the Endlers and shrimp have use of the whole tank. That's what I did and it's fun to watch them swim through the holes from side to side. Makes it easier to have fish such as Pygmy Cories (my favorites) which need at least a 10 gallon tank.

You can use opaque Plexi-glas or spray it black instead of clear as in these videos:

? How to Build Make A Tank Aquarium Divider - YouTube

? How To Build Make Fish Tank Aquarium Divider Part 2 - YouTube
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 01:12 PM   #8 
Kittiesdragons

Ooo that's a super neat idea!
Old 10-10-2013, 01:31 PM   #9 
Kittiesdragons

so 1/4 inch holes are big enough for endlers but not bettas?
Old 10-10-2013, 03:55 PM   #10 
RussellTheShihTzu

Absolutely. That's what I have with no problems. Just make sure the divider goes from the bottom to the top of the tank so the Bettas don't go over or under.

Also, you can stabilize it on the bottom. You can use these clips. I bought from this seller. With the clips on the bottom, you only need to attach to the back wall so you don't need the clips on the front. Gives you a much leaner view.

4 Suction Cup Divider Holder for Fresh Salt Water Aquarium Fish | eBay
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote