Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-04-2013, 08:21 AM   #1 
SeaKnight

Just need to vent!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously do not know what is going on with my tanks!!!!!!!!! both the 50g and 29g have had some major Bacterial blooms happening for the past 3 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SeaKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:55 AM   #2 
tilli94

:( maybe tear them down and scrub them out?
tilli94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:01 AM   #3 
SeaKnight

Yeah, my husband just reminded me that the 50g is still relatively new and is still in the cycling process... The 29 however, we are going to be replacing as soon as he gets home from work... I've been having troubles with it for a while now and have done just about everything to fix it's issues to no avail.. I honestly think it is the tank itself that is the issue.. Sooooo time to replace it.....
Old 10-04-2013, 11:07 AM   #4 
megaredize

I always jsut do a lot of big water changes when i have bacterial blooms. it usually sorts itself out. tearing down a tank is the last thing you want to do because then you will off your cycle. and cycling a tank and cycle bumps is what usually causes a bacterial bloom. did you add any new live stock to the tanks to add more bioload? that would cause it also. you can also use a cycle starter like nutrafin cycle or safe start to strengthen your cycle. some people dont believe they work but i have always used the nutrafin cycle in new tanks and i swear it does help. if it helps in a new tank im sure it can help in an established tank.
megaredize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:06 PM   #5 
ehh

the fish tank itself is not the problem. how often are you doing water changes?
ehh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 03:21 PM   #6 
SeaKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh View Post
the fish tank itself is not the problem. how often are you doing water changes?
even though it has come to my attention that the sealant is beginning to peel away on the inside?? As for water changes they are typically 75% every 2-3 weeks same as my other tanks.....
Old 10-04-2013, 03:29 PM   #7 
SeaKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by megaredize View Post
I always jsut do a lot of big water changes when i have bacterial blooms. it usually sorts itself out. tearing down a tank is the last thing you want to do because then you will off your cycle. and cycling a tank and cycle bumps is what usually causes a bacterial bloom. did you add any new live stock to the tanks to add more bioload? that would cause it also. you can also use a cycle starter like nutrafin cycle or safe start to strengthen your cycle. some people dont believe they work but i have always used the nutrafin cycle in new tanks and i swear it does help. if it helps in a new tank im sure it can help in an established tank.

You're right, the 50g is beginning to work itself out is a whole lot clearer today that it has been. I just keep forgetting that it is a "new" set up and hasn't yet finished cycling. As for the 29g I found today that the sealant is beginning to peel away on the inside, so whether the Blooms have been happening do to something I am or am not doing is irrelevant it's being replaced..
Old 10-04-2013, 03:53 PM   #8 
ehh

The silicone coming off won't cause cloudy water though. What is your current stock in that tank?
Old 10-04-2013, 04:24 PM   #9 
SeaKnight

2 Gourami, 4 African Dwarf frogs and 3-4 guppy
Old 10-04-2013, 04:29 PM   #10 
ehh

Doesn't sound over stocked. I would just increase the amount of water changes. IMO a change every 2-3 isn't enough. You're better off doing more changes of smaller amounts. It's removes ammonia and nitrite more often instead of removing a lot of it at once then letting it build up again.
I personally do 50% change once a week on 10 gal. Two 25% percent changes a week on my 20 gal. And on my 75, two 30% percent changes two sometimes three time a week. My water stays crystal clear. Not to mention the way a water change schedule like this benefits the fish.

Last edited by ehh; 10-04-2013 at 04:39 PM.