Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-29-2008, 07:51 PM   #1 
FishyGurl101

Do betta's like small tanks and if so, why?

I recently got a betta and the person I got him from said they like small tanks, is this true and if so, why?
FishyGurl101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 08:05 PM   #2 
kritas

MOST ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!

Sorry, but it infuriates me when people have been mislead and henceforth don't treat their fish correctly.
No fish enjoys small spaces, least of all a betta. You unfortunately, where ever you go will find pet shops keeping betta's in tiny little cups with barely enough room for them to spin around in. This is an act of vulgarity, never to be copied. The person that told you was no doubt a salesman, who was trying to keep the stores reputation by telling you that they require no space to move.

My reccomendation...would be to buy a tank no smaller than 5G for your betta, which is bare minimum in my opinion, although my betta's tank is a 10Gallon.

Hope that helps:)
kritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 08:07 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

The reccommended size tank is 2.5 gallons or larger. They need plenty of space to move around. The bigger the tank, the less water changes you have to do.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 03:12 PM   #4 
nav2008

2.5 gall or larger is optimum but i have one male in 2 gallons and he seems ok, once i get my fry raised and such im getting a divider for my 10 gallon and putting him in there with the male that currently lives in it (or is until tomorrow when hopefully i will have hatching babies)
nav2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 04:44 PM   #5 
FishyGurl101

Thanks!

Thanks to all, this helps a ton!! :D
FishyGurl101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 07:29 PM   #6 
veganchick

:) might I add they DON'T LIKE small tanks! mine gall get exited every time they go into larger tanks, but If they have to go smaller they get stresses. I don't currently have a betta in a tank less than 4g and all of mine seem happy!
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 07:42 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

Any new fish I get will go into bigger than a gallon.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:01 PM   #8 
JingleAllTheWay

I'd say bigger than 1 gallon. I actually bought a so-called betta tank which is really, really small. (Almost like the cups they come in.) I only got it to put my betta in when I clean out his tank...but supposedly you can actually keep the betta in it. I don't think so... And also the bigger the tank, the more room he has to swim around and it is so fun to watch them.
JingleAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 08:06 PM   #9 
veganchick

this link might explain how well small tanks work http://www.fishforum.com/freshwater-.../uggggg-22497/ lol....
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 08:07 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

My neighbor's daughter had hers in like about 8 oz of water in a vase! It was awful! He was sick and I tried to treat him for finrot but he died after he went back to her.