Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Show Bettas
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-05-2013, 01:23 AM   #11 
dramaqueen
Banned

Ok, I'm seeing the unevenness of the web reduction. And I'm seeing the short ray, too.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 01:26 AM   #12 
Basement Bettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
Ok, I'm seeing the unevenness of the web reduction. And I'm seeing the short ray, too.

Basement Bettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 01:27 AM   #13 
Basement Bettas

When you connect those rays.. you see his balance is not bad. The anal is a tad long.. but still nice. I still want to see it level like in HM.. no slope unless we are talking PK

Old 10-05-2013, 01:30 AM   #14 
Basement Bettas

The color faults should be easy. This is a bi-color fish.His body should be one color and the fins another. The seperation in color should be clean.. no bleeding. To be really competitive you want high contrast colors.. like the old Cambodians. Flesh bodies and bright red fins. Or blue bodies and yellow fins. The MG's of today are bad blue/yellow bicolors. So where are the color faults on this male? Look hard and be picky.
Old 10-05-2013, 01:51 AM   #15 
dramaqueen
Banned

The blue color bleeding into the red.The tips of the rays look dark.?
Old 10-05-2013, 01:59 AM   #16 
veggiegirl

I am finding this post very informative, never really considered showing because I cannot travel due to commitments and we have no local shows but I am certainly really enjoying learning what makes a good fish show wise.....
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 02:20 AM   #17 
dramaqueen
Banned

Me, too. I'm never going to show but it doesn't hurt to be informed.
Old 10-05-2013, 03:44 AM   #18 
Basement Bettas

Ya'll got it. Even the dark tips. I did not circle all of them.. but you got the idea.

Old 10-05-2013, 03:54 AM   #19 
Basement Bettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiegirl View Post
I am finding this post very informative, never really considered showing because I cannot travel due to commitments and we have no local shows but I am certainly really enjoying learning what makes a good fish show wise.....
I do not travel to shows. The fish are shipped. I am in Tx and last weekend my fish were in CA. Monday they leave for Indiana and then a few weeks after that they will go to Houston for final show till spring.

The hardest thing is to breed fish to the standards and to show., with no local show to attend for feedback and guidance. You learn a LOT at a show so I encourage people to go if the distance is do-able. Will try to do a few more of these to get you looking at what we look at as far as form and color.

Would I breed this fish? He has a lot going for him I do like the spread and length of his tail, two areas you find lacking in many CT's today. I would think the reduction could be improved easily to be more consistent in a few generations. But I have just started to raise some CT's so not entirely sure. I also like the color is pretty clean. So yes.. if I had him I would breed him and look for improvements in the female. Have her with good spread and length [don't want to lose that] but improve the color or the consistency of the reduction. And I would expect to have some fish good enough to show in the breeding.

Now go cruise AquaBid CT's with your new found knowledge and see if you can see some of the same faults in other fish
Old 10-05-2013, 04:00 AM   #20 
Basement Bettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilobite View Post
He has short outer rays and uneven web reduction in the tail. Theres also something pretty weird going on spike wise in the middle of his caudal, looks like theres some thin extra spikes that dont belong anywhere.
Anal fin looks messy, stubby first dorsal ray and his body is too thin and weak looking for my liking.
But overall a much nicer ct than the majority of them
Yeah.. the spikes are not symmetrical. If you follow the branch from the base of the tail it splits, then each split splits again so you go from one to four rays. But some only go to three.. one of the rays do not split again. When breeding I want all of them the same.. so will always look for the one that has most of the rays like I want. Showing.. depending on the competition... you ca probably get away with it. If the competition is tough they will fault him for it if the other is better.

Tags
crowntail form, judging form