Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-04-2013, 11:26 PM   #1 
Emmakay31

Newbie Vacation Questions!

Hi everyone!

I've been lurking on this forum for a few years now, and finally created an account. I am a freshman in college, and have a (weirdly enough) four gallon tank with two mickey mouse platties, an ivory snail, and Hector, my betta.

I go to school in Colorado, but I live in Washington State, and for Thanksgiving, I was wondering the best way to make sure they're healthy while I am gone for a week. I have the feeding blocks, but their reviews are not that great.

I was wondering if you guys had any advice on feeding them (or if they even really need it) while I am gone! Also, for X-mas break, I was planning on taking them back with me, any advice on bringing them on the plane? I've read that you can, and I've read that you can't!

Oh yeah, I have a filter, heater, and Hectors favourite bubbler in the tank!
Thank you guys!!!
Emmakay31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 05:52 AM   #2 
jaysee
Reference Team

Just leave then be for the week. They don't need to be fed.

For Christmas break, that's another matter. They will not let you take liquids on the plane, so if you want to take them with you you will probably need to mail them to your parents house before you leave. Mail half of the media too. When you get home, go buy a tank to leave at your parents so that you can just mail the fish back and forth, since you will be faced with this problem again and again.

Last edited by jaysee; 10-05-2013 at 05:55 AM.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:34 PM   #3 
Emmakay31

Thanks!
Before I go, do I need to do anything like feed them more or less? And how do you ship fish?
Old 10-08-2013, 06:26 PM   #4 
jaysee
Reference Team

No I wouldn't do more than a water change before you go.

If you are interested in shipping fish, look into breather bags. Fast the fish for a couple days before you ship them so there will be less waste in the bag. Use styrofoam to line the box, on all 6 sides. Newspaper inside will keep the bag from moving around. Heat packs and cold packs are used when needed. You can ship next day or priority.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:46 AM   #5 
Emmakay31

Okay, thank you! Just making sure, they can be let without being fed for five days?
Old 10-14-2013, 02:23 PM   #6 
jaysee
Reference Team

They'll survive for months without food - it really takes that long for a healthy fish to starve. 5 days is nothing