Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-05-2013, 08:02 AM   #1 
Deanna01

IDing/labelling jars and fish?

Hi, all. I am wondering what you've found to be the best way of keeping your individual fish straight for photos and such. I am considering simply using masking tape and a number on each jar and then taking a photo of the number before I take a photos of the fish. Is this similar to what others do? Have you found a better solution?
Deanna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 02:25 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm not positive but I think Myates put a number on her jars when she photographed them. When I picked out my boys I could clearly see the numbers on the containers and see the fish, too. She can tell you more about it.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 02:19 AM   #3 
bambijarvis

Numbers if there are quite a few jars, temp names if only few.
("barny" is nicer than "B0912-2m")
bambijarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:20 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

Lol. Agreed.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:09 AM   #5 
Ilikebutterflies

Lol, none of mine have names. If you plan on breeding to any extent you probably want to come up with a number system. I do spawn number and individual number. If it is my 10th spawn and the individual fish is number 22 it goes 10/22. I have a notebook that details the spawn ie: what was the gaol, which color parents, what type they were, etc. My goal is to eventually provide a 3 generation picture parentage sheet with each breeding quality fish. The culls and pets won't come with the pedigree.

Now, I admit it gets sketchy when I toss the pets together in the big tank because sometimes I don't know who is who but if I did take photos of them I'd still provide some type of reference number.
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:30 AM   #6 
Deanna01

Yeah, I guess what I'm asking is the best way to keep each fish matched with its number as you take pictures. For this batch, I put tape on each jar with the number, took a picture of the number first, and then took pictures of the fish. It works, but I wondered if anyone had come up with something more efficient.
Deanna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:50 AM   #7 
Ilikebutterflies

Check your settings on your camera. You may be able to label your photos as you go.
Or...
You can invest in a small photo tank, label the tank, stand back and take photo and later when you are cropping and zooming for your finished pic you will have the fish number handy so you can just add text to the cropped photo.
Or...
you can use Snapbucket or a similar program if you are using a phone/ipod. You can label photos as you go.

I doubt seriously you will be able to get the fish to pose next to the number lol.
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote