Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-05-2013, 09:25 AM   #1 
Noctredors

Dosage for melafix 0.5 gallon

I've heard bad things about it, but I'm gonna try it anyways because my Betta has really bad fin rot. I already tried aquarium salt, for 14 days but it didn't work. So now i want to use melafix. What dose do i need to use for a 0.5 gallon tank?
Noctredors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:39 PM   #2 
LostxinthexMusic

Don't use melafix. Try switching to API Stress Coat+ as your water conditioner and treating with Jungle's Fungus Cure. There are so many other things to try that won't potentially do more harm than good. And it would be a very good idea to get your fish into a bigger tank; you probably can't keep it clean enough, which is why he has fin rot.
LostxinthexMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:49 PM   #3 
Tree

I had a fish die with melafix. I tried to fix him with all sorts of issues he had when I got him but found out the hard way that melafix does more harm than good. x_x It is all up to you if you wanna use it but this is what happened to mine when I tried to fix his fin rot.
Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:17 PM   #4 
hollyk

I'll second the vote for Jungle Fungus Cure. I bought a sick betta with very advanced fin rot a couple weeks ago, and that medication worked great. I've seen major improvements in my betta. And Jungle Fungus Clear is less than $4 at Walmart, so it's super cheap.
hollyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 12:13 AM   #5 
jaysee
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree View Post
I had a fish die with melafix. I tried to fix him with all sorts of issues he had when I got him but found out the hard way that melafix does more harm than good. x_x It is all up to you if you wanna use it but this is what happened to mine when I tried to fix his fin rot.
Your fish most likely died from whatever you were trying to save it from - all those issues the fish had. It's funny, no one ever claims that the meds kill their fish when they die during treatment. But if it's Melafix - that definitely killed it, not all the things wrong with the fish.

I've dosed with Melafix at over 4x the recommended dosage without any issue whatsoever.

In such a small tank you would use bettafix, not Melafix. It's a lower concentration to make dosing small tanks easier.

That all being said, I'm not saying that Melafix is a good thing to use. I think there are better ways to treat fin rot, the best being good clean water and time. I agree with the suggestion to get the fish into a bigger tank. I would get a filtered tank that way you can provide a stable environment.

Last edited by jaysee; 10-16-2013 at 12:16 AM.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 12:17 AM   #6 
LostxinthexMusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysee View Post
I've dosed with Melafix at over 4x the recommended dosage without any issue whatsoever.
Was it a betta that you used it on? Because the stuff's fine for fish that don't have a labyrinth organ.
LostxinthexMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 12:22 AM   #7 
jaysee
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostxinthexMusic View Post
Was it a betta that you used it on? Because the stuff's fine for fish that don't have a labyrinth organ.
Yes of course it was a betta It's fine for labyrinth fish too - they test it on everything from chocolate gouramis to wild bettas and everything inbetween.

Its a myth that it's dangerous. API puts warning labels on their other med products, when applicable. If there was a reason to put a warning on those products, there would be. Nor would they make a product specifically for bettas if it wasn't safe to use on them. It's honestly ridiculous to think otherwise - that they would make a product for bettas that kills bettas.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:56 AM   #8 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysee View Post
Yes of course it was a betta It's fine for labyrinth fish too - they test it on everything from chocolate gouramis to wild bettas and everything inbetween.

Its a myth that it's dangerous. API puts warning labels on their other med products, when applicable. If there was a reason to put a warning on those products, there would be. Nor would they make a product specifically for bettas if it wasn't safe to use on them. It's honestly ridiculous to think otherwise - that they would make a product for bettas that kills bettas.
Working in a pet store... I can tell you there are plenty of products out there that kill animals that are still sold. If people buy them, companies will sell them. Now, whether or not "fix" products are safe or not, I do not know. But, I can tell you I have seen fish wish fin rot die after dosing Bettafix properly at my store. They become lethargic, and die. So, I caution against using them. Perhaps, some fish just have an allergy to it. I don't know, but it seems to potentially be a common thing.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote