Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-27-2009, 03:59 PM   #1 
Ant

Question New Fish Acting Strange

I just got a betta fish on Tuesday so I only had him for 2 days. The first days I had him, he was acting fine, swimming and eating, he seemed very happy.

Last night, a few minutes after I turned off the lights to go to sleep, I noticed he was hanging out on the bottom of the tank by the gravel. I turned my light back on, tapped on the glass, but there was no response from him, he just wouldn't move, only his mouth was moving. So I put a piece of food in there, turned on the fish tank light and he woke up and ate it. So I figured at the time, he just sleeping and that's why he didn't move.

This morning, he's really acting strange, usually when I put food in the tank he goes right for it immediately. This morning when I went to feed him, it took him a long time to eat and he didn't finish the fourth pellet I gave him. He's also swimming funny, almost like he's sinking :( And a couple times today he did go to the bottom to rest. I don't know what could possibly be wrong with him, I do notice in the tank little particles floating around, they look like scales to me, but I'm not sure. They're not very noticeable, only if you look closely. I'm not sure if this is normal or not. Does anyone have any idea on what could be wrong with my fish? I was reading something about giving a sick fish a salt bath, I'm not sure if I can give him one in this case since I don't know what's wrong with him. Any advice will be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 05:12 PM   #2 
AngelicScars

Sounds like it could possibly a case of SBD. I would do a water change (just to be sure) lower the water level, and fast him.
I hope others can give advice too! Good luck!
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 05:16 PM   #3 
Ant

I was just reading about that, he does seem to have all the symptoms. By lowering the water, what will that do? And how long should I fast him?
Old 08-27-2009, 05:16 PM   #4 
5green

usually on a case of sbd the fish struggles to go to the bottom it may be that you are feeding it to many pelets i would feed it 2 pelets a day
5green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 05:24 PM   #5 
AngelicScars

with SBD, it can cause them to struggle to swim to the top OR swim to the bottom.

Lowering the water will help him get to the surface for air easier. I would fast him for 2-3 days.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:25 PM   #6 
Ant

Oh wow, only two, yikes, I've been over feeding him then :( On the back of the bottle it says 3-4 pellets twice a day. From now on, once he feels better of course, I'll start feeding him only 2 a day.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:28 PM   #7 
AngelicScars

Most people feed their Betta 2 pellets twice a day. I would cut down a couple of the pellets and he should be fine. :)
Old 08-27-2009, 05:37 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

I would fast for 2-3 days, like AngelicScars said, then I would feed him some daphnia, either freeze dried or frozen.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 05:42 PM   #9 
Ant

Awesome, I'll go pick those up at the pet store tomorrow. Thanks! :)
Old 08-28-2009, 09:36 AM   #10 
Elena

How big is this tank? Is the tank cycled? What are the ammonia/nitrites levels? 99% of all fish illnesses are due to poor water quality and overfeeding. A cycled tank will help you by lowering maintenance (no more complete water changes) and will help the fish by keeping ammonia and nitrites at 0. When fish are in water with high ammonia concentration they get burns, and their gills are irreversibly damaged. Also, you may see illnesses like fin rot and SBD occur. If your tank is not cycled than you need to change the water 3 times a week for 1 gal and 2 times for 2-3 gallons. Anything larger can be easily cycled.
See these links for info on fishless cycling (the humane method of cycling fish tanks): http://www.algone.com/fishless_cycling.php http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_fishless.php
I hope he feels better.
Elena is offline   Reply With Quote