Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-28-2009, 02:04 PM   #11 
Ant

It's a 2.5 gallon tank, I'm not sure about the ammonia/nitrite levels. I don't think they're high because I just got him on Tuesday and I just changed the water on Wednesday. The water looks very clean, I did lower it though so he doesn't have to struggle to come up for air. I don't have a filter in there, but I do have one, it came with the tank I purchased. His gills and everything look ok to me. I'm pretty sure I over-fed him, on the back of the pellet bottle it says to give 3-4 pellets twice a day, which is way too much from what I'm learning now. For 3 days straight, I was giving him 8 pellets a day :( I didn't feed him today, he's very lethargic today, not swimming much and hanging out on the bottom. How long do you think it'll take for him to feel better?? He clearly doesn't look like he's feeling well. I feel so bad for him because he was fine when I got him on Tuesday. I can't wait till he feels better again.
Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 04:15 PM   #12 
Ant

Ok he's getting worse and I really don't know what to do for him. He's only using one fin now and only swims when he comes up for air. Does anyone know if swim bladder can cause these symptoms??? Please help, I don't want him to suffer like this.
Old 08-28-2009, 05:06 PM   #13 
Elena

I am so sorry he is not doing well. It seems like water quality is not the issue. You might try a little aquarium salt in the water (NOT THE TABLE SALT)- 0.5 teaspoon per gallon of water. Make sure you dissolve it first in a bit of tank water so that it doesn't burn him. Add it slowly to not shock him. That will help him breathe better and might help with constipation or SBD if that's what he has. Sorry I can't be of more help.
Elena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 05:18 PM   #14 
Ant

Ok, thanks I'll try that. I'll keep you posted on how he is doing, cross your fingers for him, btw his name is Barry. I'll post a picture of him.

Can I use Kosher salt?? It doesn't have any iodine in it.

Not the greatest picture (this was the 2nd day I got him)

Last edited by Ant; 08-28-2009 at 05:26 PM.
Old 08-28-2009, 05:32 PM   #15 
Elena

You might want to still do a water change and lower the water level so that he doesn't struggle to get to the surface. Kosher salt is probably OK (look at the ingredients- it should only say one thing: salt; no other silicates, etc.) Good luck; I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Barry. He is a beautiful fish.
Elena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 08:01 PM   #16 
dramaqueen
Banned

I would use aquarium salt.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote