Quote:
Originally Posted by helms97 View Post
Id love a few when they are ready! And wow.. you have AMAZING betta art
Thank you!

I'll let you know they are ready.
Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 02:02 PM   #33 
peachii

Color should start showing up in about 6 weeks after hatching, maybe a little sooner or later. Mine that hatched were all Ivory or Purple so far. I didn't have any blues from these guys yet, pretty sure those will come from the darker purple couples in the other tank that just hatched. Color is still coming in on a few of the smaller ones and they are about 9ish weeks old now. Even 4 months after they are hatched they are still prone to change and develop their color a bit more densely so be aware that any you get MAY indeed not have the color fully developed and I am positive that the extremely shiny light purple silver color that my babies are showing now will NOT stay the same as they grow (wish it would) yours should show the same color as well, as pretty as it is I expect it to darken and as they grow to get their stripes.

Even as babies they are super, super messy so keep a close eye as they start to grow so they don't ruin your substrate or water quality. The more plants you have stuffed in with them in the substrate to eat the waste the better as they get a little bigger.

As they grow some will grow faster then others so drop food in a couple different spots in the tanks as the bigger snails will hog the food and not let the tiny guys eat.

They need to be shipped in water so mailing in an envelope probably wouldn't be the best thing to do, as the baggy with water will get smooshed and more than likely ruin the envelope and kill the snails inside.
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 02:28 PM   #34 
PetMania

Thanks for the colouring info peachii. I'll be breeding snails (not like there's much effort needed) so i need that info.
PetMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 02:52 PM   #35 
Fenghuang

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachii View Post
Color should start showing up in about 6 weeks after hatching, maybe a little sooner or later. Mine that hatched were all Ivory or Purple so far. I didn't have any blues from these guys yet, pretty sure those will come from the darker purple couples in the other tank that just hatched. Color is still coming in on a few of the smaller ones and they are about 9ish weeks old now. Even 4 months after they are hatched they are still prone to change and develop their color a bit more densely so be aware that any you get MAY indeed not have the color fully developed and I am positive that the extremely shiny light purple silver color that my babies are showing now will NOT stay the same as they grow (wish it would) yours should show the same color as well, as pretty as it is I expect it to darken and as they grow to get their stripes.

Even as babies they are super, super messy so keep a close eye as they start to grow so they don't ruin your substrate or water quality. The more plants you have stuffed in with them in the substrate to eat the waste the better as they get a little bigger.

As they grow some will grow faster then others so drop food in a couple different spots in the tanks as the bigger snails will hog the food and not let the tiny guys eat.

They need to be shipped in water so mailing in an envelope probably wouldn't be the best thing to do, as the baggy with water will get smooshed and more than likely ruin the envelope and kill the snails inside.
Thank you for all the great information, Peachii. We'll be sure to keep all that in mind. They are being moved to a tub of their own soon, so they should be easier to maintain and grow out. They will be fed plenty of algae wafers, blanched leafy greens, and cucumbers (and there are a few tanks overgrown with algae, so that can be picked off for them too).

It's interesting that you say that you only gotten the dark purples and ivory, but our purple parent that we got from you with our plant package really is a different colour from the pictures of your snails and she is huge now. Maybe they throw colour morphs from time to time?
Old 10-06-2013, 03:27 PM   #36 
PetMania

Don't mystery snails get up to 2" long? I am I mistaking them for ramshorns?
Old 10-06-2013, 03:38 PM   #37 
Fenghuang

Yes, mystery snails can grow large. Some people say around golf-ball sized. The parents of these clutches are about that size.
Old 10-06-2013, 03:42 PM   #38 
PetMania

That's bigger than some of my bettas. Not including the tail.
Old 10-06-2013, 03:48 PM   #39 
Canis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canis View Post
Do you think five would be okay by themselves in a 10 gallon planted tank?
Anyone? XD
Canis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 03:50 PM   #40 
PetMania

Yes, they would be fine. Just to let you know, they can get up to 2" long. And they will breed like C-R-A-Z-Y