Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-27-2009, 10:16 PM   #1 
TonyB

Question Help my kid overdosed my 5.5 gallon tank with conditioner

Hi all oh no tonight my tank got up to 90 so i took a a half gallon out and gradually added fresh stuff in to try and lower the temp. well i was not going to add any new conditioner because i had previously myself added a little to much conditioner. but i came back in to find that she added a cap full of the tetra beta safe conditioner and that is for a 10 gallon. is this going to kill my fish. my local pet store tells me you cant overdose on this stuff some how i don't believe them. also my temp did not lower :( i hope my fish dont die i don't no what else to do. i cant really do a tank change as i just set it up and i'm afraid that would be to much of a shock on him.
TonyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 11:21 PM   #2 
TonyB

the temp went down tonight by self but still worried about the overdone conditioner is this a problem. it wont make my water to icky will it or kill my pretty red blue and purple male Betta will it.
Old 08-28-2009, 12:27 AM   #3 
TonyB

anyone??
Old 08-28-2009, 01:15 AM   #4 
AngelicScars

If you are worried, you can put the betta in the cup it came in and do a 100% water change. Also, how did the temp get up so high?
I wouldn't use a heater if that is what happened. If the water gets too warm again, you can try using ice cubes to cool it.
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 08:49 AM   #5 
TonyB

i unplugged my heater yesterday but the heater i have only raises the temp by 4 degrees. but what happened my a/c broke and it was 90 in my house all day so thus 90 in his tank to. today I'm afraid its going to be 98 and no a/c here again.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:22 AM   #6 
RoseyD

The water shouldn't cool down so quickly ... if it's just this hot during mid day - I would suggest to get a fan and blow it over the top of your opened tank to try to keep it cooled. And, no lights! ...

Try to keep your shades down to keep the heat out as much as possible.

yes. ice-cubes... but not so many as to put the fish into shock. Bettas do like heat, even in the high 80s they'll be fine. Try not to stress to much - try to keep your place cool, maybe open all the windows and place fans to get things to cross ventilate... if that's possible, do it... if not... don't stress.

before the conditioner accident - how was the betta responding to the 90 heat? any lethargy? not eating? ... or acting normal?
RoseyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 05:43 PM   #7 
TonyB

he seams to be ok with the temp this high swimming around and active. goes up for air and back down again. today i added a few ice cubes on and off as its 92. in my house today i wish i had AC like i did. i figured with the conditioner overdose that a few ice cubes would not hurt the water. seamed to cool it of some not much though. i think i will just leave it as is i think i did a total of 4 ice cubes threw out the day and not really much change in temp. so i give up on that like you said i don't want to shock the pore guy so i did them like 2 hours apart and the last being 3 hours apart. its so hot here it sucks im even dying of the heat. i have a old house built in 1942 so not much windows in the living area that open it sucks.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:25 PM   #8 
TonyB

Unhappy

omg omg it peaked to 95 in my house and now the tank is 92 he seams ok but i think if it goes on like this overnight that he might pass on :(. i don't no what to do are water here is not to good i use bottled drinking water and i have none left. and i don't want to shock him by changing it. i just hope my daughters fish do sent pass on from this. good news is tomorrow it cools down and we are back to normal weather upper 70s.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:29 PM   #9 
5green

its a good idea to put in some icecubes
5green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 07:31 PM   #10 
sumsum

To cool down the tank you could put ice in bags and tape it to the tank. I wish it were only 95 here 107 today.
sumsum is offline   Reply With Quote