Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-27-2009, 11:18 PM   #1 
snowkira

new and full of questions!

Ahh I am very overwhelmed. I got a betta today, but being the naiive girl i am, I walked into the store bought the first "tank" i found and walked right out with Aro my new betta! I am completely in love with him BUT, as i researched more on bettas i found out that my 'tank' is not NEARLY big enough. I have a 3L! I don't have enough money for a new tank since i spent most of my budget on Aro! And i have so much stuff to buy he was just an investment, and may i add one of the better ones! but sadly i have to pay for school and other things... I do not have a heater either but my house is always really warm and i don't think they make heaters for under 1 gallon do they?

so my questions are...

Will he be okay/happy until, oh say, christmas in that tank? It's not to small.. but I feel like a really bad owner.. remorse guilt... I am willing to clean it as many times as needed a week for Aro to be happy..

** he keeps flaring his fins and attacking the wall.. or the bubbles. is he seeing his reflection or something of that sort and is attacking himself?

do i need a heater for this tank?

does he need a plant or cave in such a small place?

does he need lighting?

thanks sorry if you answered these questions somewhere else! i just feel really bad if he's not going to thrive in such a small living place ..
snowkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 11:35 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to FishForum. I think he'll be fine in a gallon until Christmas when you can upgrade. Frequent water changes will be needed, twice a week for a gallon sized tank. He's probably flaring at his reflection and thhe bubbles.I wouldn't try heating such a small tank. Put his tank in the warmest room in your house.You can get him a small plant fior his tank. I have some little ones in mine.Natural light will be fine. I hope this helps! :)
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 11:59 PM   #3 
Jynx

awww- yeah he'll be ok in a 1 gallon for a while- plenty of people keep their fish in tanks that size- it's just that they live longer and are less stressed in roomier tanks.
Jynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 09:46 AM   #4 
snowkira

thank you but hes still going ridiculous against the tank, i think he may be eating... the bubbles oin the side of the wall.. lol..
snowkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 03:38 PM   #5 
sharon

maybe he is adding bubbles! guess we know what you are going to ask for, for xmas
sharon is offline   Reply With Quote