Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-05-2013, 08:30 PM   #1 
Finley Jayne

Help me- betta emergency

What if I have a fish with swim bladder? I fed him a pea... He is at the top struggling and thrashing. He's bloated too, and goes sideways. I have a divider with another male in hopes that he will flare and a bowel movement will be produced. I don't know what to do. He's pretty much hopeless. He's laying sideways motionless right now and idk what to do. HELP ME. I have him in a tank and a light to maybe warm the water... I've quit feeding him. I don't know what to do and I don't want him to die. Please help as fast as you can. This fish is so special to me.
Finley Jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:38 PM   #2 
sainthogan

How long have you gone without feeding him? Generally 3 - 5 days. You say you have him in a tank with a light to warm the water. How warm is the water, do you have a heater?
Generally a pea is not a good thing and can actually cause more damage than it helps.
The best bet is to do an espom salt treatment. You can do 1/2 teaspoon per gallon.
Also, please fill out this sticky so we can help you better:
Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
sainthogan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:00 PM   #3 
Finley Jayne

It's a 2.5 tank
About 70 degrees
Yes filter
No heater
Male tank mate separated by grate
Food is tetra flakes
Feeding twice a day only a little though
Water Chanel's once a week or every other week
100 percent water changed except for the cup of old water I leave him in while I clean
Only water conditioner added
Idk the water perimeters
He's bloated swims on his side and then lays motionless for several minutes before attempting to swim again. Noticed a couple weeks ago that his belly was swollen but today was the main show. The tank is new. I got it today along with the other male who is perfectly fine so I know it ain't the tank
Given a small bit of a pea for treatment and haven't fed him since this morning
No illness history
Unknown age

PLEASE HELP. I think he's dying.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:18 PM   #4 
sainthogan

Ok, for starters, you need a heater, they are tropical fish and need a minimum temperature of 76. That will help.
Second, you need to be changing the water about 3 water changes a week for a tank that size. Fish naturally produce ammonia in their waste, and in small tanks, even with a filter, ammonia builds up very quickly and can cause all sorts of problems. Here is a helpful link: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=115758
Third, flakes are horrible (especially the brand you have, very, very poor quality) for Betta fish and cause constipation issues. You need to find a high quality pellet with very few fillers (wheat, soy, rye, corn, etc. - those are bad, bad, bad).
Old 10-05-2013, 09:20 PM   #5 
sainthogan

In the meantime, try to keep the tank as warm as possible and do epsom salt treatments. Get the kind without any additives, and no caking agents, just straight magnesium sulfate. Epsom salt is the go to treatment on fish for any kind of constipation and bloating issues because it draws fluid out of the body and acts as a laxative.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:20 PM   #6 
Finley Jayne

Thank you SO much! I'm actually crying right now because his stomach swelling has reduced a bit and he is no longer laying on his side and gasping. He is upright near the surface and looking a lot better. UNBELIEVABLE. I've spotted some feces on the pebbles below and turned my hot lamp on to heat the water. He's beginning to dive again. I think it's the food. What heaters do you recommend? And what food? This is never going to happen again. Too much stress for me and the fish...
THANK YOU! :'D
Old 10-09-2013, 12:43 AM   #7 
galtgirl

How is your fish doing?
I'd recommend NLS pellets and you can get a 25W ***or heater on Amazon for $16. It has an adjustable thermostat. Try and keep your tank around 78 deg. Your fish will be much happier in a warm tank.
galtgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 03:29 AM   #8 
Tikibirds

Pellets are better then flakes. New Life spectrum or Omega one pellets are some of the better brands.

As for heaters - mine are all different brands. I got whatever was the righ wattage and cheapest on Ebay at the time. For a 2.5G, I would get an adjustable 25 watt heater and a thermoter but not the ones that sticks on to the outside of the tank. Supposedly those arent that great.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 03:31 AM   #9 
Tikibirds

Pellets are better then flakes. New Life spectrum or Omega one pellets are some of the better brands.

As for heaters - mine are all different brands. I got whatever was the righ wattage and cheapest on Ebay at the time. For a 2.5G, I would get an adjustable 25 watt heater and a thermoter but not the ones that sticks on to the outside of the tank. Supposedly those arent that great.

Also if you are doing Epsom salt, It was said that it could be used longer term and not cause damage but people now claim it can dehydrate them, so its best not to use too much and for no more then a few days max.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:11 AM   #10 
Finley Jayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by galtgirl View Post
How is your fish doing?
I'd recommend NLS pellets and you can get a 25W ***or heater on Amazon for $16. It has an adjustable thermostat. Try and keep your tank around 78 deg. Your fish will be much happier in a warm tank.
Well... He actually took a turn and bit the dust. I've bought another as a replacement and he is doing great, so I am very sure it was to food. I'm looking into a heater... The water seemed a bit chilly.

Tags
motionless, please help me, sideways, swim bladder disease, urgent answers needed!