Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-28-2009, 12:49 AM   #1 
Effie

Bunch of questions!

Hey everyone, I got out of the shower earlier today to find that my betta had died. I only had him for a little over a month, so I know I must have done something wrong. I feel terrible, because I really loved the little guy and was doing what I thought were all the right things. Obviously not.

I got rid of his bowl and everything inside it straight away so I wouldn't be tempted to keep another fish inside it, just in case there was something wrong with it. The other bowl I have is a 1 gallon. Can I keep a betta in a bowl that small? It seems like everyone on here agrees that the bigger the better.

Also, are there any types of plants or decorations that should be avoided? What sort of decorations should I put in a 1 gallon bowl, bearing in mind that it's a bowl and not a tank, so there's not much room on the bottom to begin with.

Another thing I've noticed from reading on here is that the water temperature needs to be much higher than I originally thought. Since I'm using a rather small bowl, should I try to keep it near the heater in my room? Are there any ways of making sure a bowl stays warm enough even though it's too small for its own heater?

Sorry to ask so many questions, I just feel horrible because I know it was my ignorance that killed my fish. I really want to try again and get a second chance at all this, this time making sure that I know everything I need to know before bringing another fish home.
Effie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 02:19 AM   #2 
AngelicScars

A bowl smaller then 2 gallons is hard to control the temp. Also, you didn't have to get rid of the bowl and decor. your fish was previously in. You can boil everything to make sure anything in it is killed. Also, another way to clean the tank is use bleach rinse REALLY WELL, let it sit in the sun for a couple of days, and rinse REALLY WELL again.
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 01:45 PM   #3 
Effie

Question

So I got the second bowl set up with what I have. Does this look okay? Do I need to take anything out, add something in, replace something, etc? I don't want another dead fish because I did something wrong.

Name:  Photo 23.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  29.5 KB
Old 08-28-2009, 04:25 PM   #4 
RoseyD

I think you should get a bigger bowl. It's all well and good to have a 1 gallon bowl as a temporary tank. But, in the end - after a few weeks of such a small space - the same round space day in and day out...

don't you feel bad for the fish?

Honestly - I feel bad with my bettas in 2 gallons - I've been considering the 45$ for buying another 5 gallon for lancelot so that I can have a decent space for him, and be able to put in a heater for winter.

yes, your bowl will allow your fish to survive. He may even blow some bubbles because he's happy to not be in a cup. But, end of the day is all fish need space to swim that is bigger than an 8 inch bowl.

You really want us to say, yeah - it's good enough. whoohie, what a pretty bunch of plants... but seriously - there's not much to be said about a gallon bowl no matter what you put in it.

Sure, it's hugely better than the cup that they'd die in, at petsmart or petco.

But, (always a but) - is it great digs? comparing it to human homes. You have mansions. (Bettas who live in 50 gallon sororities - that's mansion living.) You have your basic 2, 3 and 4 bedroom houses - those would compare to the 20, 30, and 40 gallon tanks. You have a one bedroom apartment with eat-in kitchen - That's the 10 gallon. You have a one bedroom apartment with galley kitchen - that's a 5 gallon. You have a studio apartment (2 rooms and bathroom) - that's a 2 gallon. You have a one room rental (with shared bath down the hall) - that's the one gallon bowl (yes - that's living poor...) - and if you want to go down in size further... there's the small shared room (dormitory style) - then that would be the half gallon sized tank.

Now - imagine never leaving any of these human habitations - and, you tell me what is a 'good' home for your fish.

-Rosey's rant for the day.
RoseyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 04:46 PM   #5 
ltshinthebetta

1 gallon is big enough, I have my bettas in 1 gallon and a 1/2 gallon. :(
It makes me feel sobad having them in such a small space.
I am upgrading to a divided 10 gallon in a few weeks.

I'd consider upgrading with yours as well.
ltshinthebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 05:11 PM   #6 
RoseyD

oh boy! I didnt say it to make anyone feel bad. I spend a lot of time these days watching my fish. the ones in small tanks and large. Hence I keep upgrading tanks ... and Im broke.

you should only do what you can afford... and as much as you can to keep them happy. end of the day if you are buying a tank and you go for the smaller size so you can afford plants? then hell with the plants buy the biggest tank you can afford and deal with the plants another time. small tanks really are a waste of money and how those chain stores make huge profits because everyone who really cares for their fish always upgrades.
RoseyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 05:35 PM   #7 
Effie

Thanks SO MUCH for all the info. I'm going back to the store today to poke around and see what they have, so I'll definitely take your advice and see what else I can find size-wise. I'm not sure how big a tank I can afford, but I'll keep looking until I find something!