betta fish

Old 10-06-2013, 08:55 PM   #21 
PetMania

Warms my heart to see so many bettas being given a second chance
PetMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:50 PM   #22 
ashleylyn

Thank you for the support! :)

He just gave me a mini heart attack, oh my goodness! I've had him floating in my king's tank to stay warm (I ended up staying home again tonight and my 3g is at school, but at least now he has warm, clean water) and during a water change his cup tipped a little - the little bugger abandoned ship! My king kept flaring at him when I first put Atlas in the tank so I was terrified - and even with that finnage, he is FAST. I couldn't catch him right away, no matter how hard I tried. He had so much room in the 10g he kept darting away from the net. Poseidon went right up to him too, very casually, looked at him, followed him, didn't flare, and just swam away. Thank goodness. This was my face the whole time. Neither of them flared, chased, nipped, or showed any 'typical' male behavior. Atlas hasn't flared at all yet, actually. Seems pretty relaxed, he'd probably make a great community betta. Within a minute I caught Atlas though and he's quite ticked to be back in his cup. Poseidon has always been quite the aggressive fish so I really thought he would've been rapidly chasing Atlas out of his territory, but didn't show any aggressive behavior at all (Poseidon is quite possibly my favorite betta ever).

On the plus side, Atlas was not lacking in the energy department at all.. so aside from the fin rot, I'd say he's feeling pretty darn good. I didn't realize a halfmoon could swim so fast.
ashleylyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:55 AM   #23 
blufish425

^ I laughed at the end because my halfmoon has so much finnage that I swear he swims with a gimp, lol, poor guy.
blufish425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:08 PM   #24 
Quinn

It's great that the stores are willing to give the sick ones to caring homes for free, a lot of times big box stores have ridiculous policies about things, so that's lucky. And yep, ended up where he belonged. Can't wait to see pictures of him healing up :)
Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:54 PM   #25 
ashleylyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
It's great that the stores are willing to give the sick ones to caring homes for free, a lot of times big box stores have ridiculous policies about things, so that's lucky. And yep, ended up where he belonged. Can't wait to see pictures of him healing up :)
Yeah, the Pet Care manager said it's an annoying process but she knew I'd give him a great home so she let me have him. :)

He's already doing better and has even more energy! He's floating with my king again and is actually flaring today! Yesterday he could care less. He's acting like a male betta, finally!
Old 10-08-2013, 03:30 PM   #26 
ashleylyn

I think I'm going to buy a divider today and keep him in my 10g with my king. My king only stays on one half of the tank anyway lol. Atlas looks GREAT. He even built a bubble nest! He's flaring, the rot seems to have ceased (I don't see any more pieces falling off), and I'm hoping he's on the road to recovery. He has perked up so much, in a way it almost makes me feel a little better since my sorority crashed. At least someone is doing okay.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:56 PM   #27 
ashleylyn

Devastated. Whatever got my girls is getting him too. He's not going to make it, but I'm trying my best to save him regardless.

I was having a bad day and this just made it even worse. Things like this make me wish I never even got into bettas. It devastates me to see this, especially when I've invested so much time, energy, and money into giving them the best homes possible.