Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-15-2013, 06:58 PM   #1 
Skuldane

Fin rot still spreading afer Maracyn Oxy and salt treatment

I don't know what to do, I have my betta in a .5 gallon QT tank. I have been using salt and Maracyn oxy and have been doing water changes every day or every other day. Water temp is about 80. What do I do? It's eaten about halfway through his tail. Also, I have been treating with salt for a little over a week and the maracyn Oxy for about a week as well.
Skuldane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:22 PM   #2 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skuldane View Post
I don't know what to do, I have my betta in a .5 gallon QT tank. I have been using salt and Maracyn oxy and have been doing water changes every day or every other day. Water temp is about 80. What do I do? It's eaten about halfway through his tail. Also, I have been treating with salt for a little over a week and the maracyn Oxy for about a week as well.
Can you post a picture?
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:56 PM   #3 
Skuldane

Is this good enough?

Old 10-15-2013, 11:53 PM   #4 
Tree

Hmmm do you see the tips of the tail start to turn a dark color? looks like he might be tail biting. but I am no expert. ^^ I hope someone can help you. <3
Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 01:13 AM   #5 
LostxinthexMusic

That does seem to look more tail-biting-ish than fin-rot-ish. If you still suspect fin rot, though, I would suggest trying Jungle's Fungus Clear. And no matter what, switch your dechlorinator to something with aloe in it (I personally prefer API Stress Coat+) if yours doesn't already have it. And in that little tank, be sure to change the water VERY often. Some fish, especially when they already have fin rot, are very sensitive to dirty water. Try dropping the temp a bit, too, if you can; fin rot likes warmer water.
LostxinthexMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 01:26 AM   #6 
Skuldane

There are dark spots. and i havent seen him bite his tail, he is on my desk with me.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:16 AM   #7 
NeptunesMom

That doesn't looks like fin rot. It looks like biting/injury. You will not see a fish bite. They are sneaky about it. I've NEVER seen one of my biters bite their tail.

Fin rot can start because of biting. That is usually related to poor water quality.

Since it's gotten worse since you moved him into the .5 g. I would move him back into his regular tank. Then start to play around with different things to see if you can discourage biting. Sometimes they want to be in a higher traffic area, sometimes a lower traffic area, sometimes different decorations will make them stop, etc.. I've found luck with Stress Coat + and IAL.

ETA: Don't use any medication or salt. If you want to add Stress Coat + and IAL that's fine. But, medications/salt are hard on their bodies and neither are necessary at this point. For future, I would recommend asking on here before trying to treat. The treatments you already did, weren't really necessary and just put his body through stress.

Last edited by NeptunesMom; 10-16-2013 at 10:18 AM.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote