Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-06-2013, 04:51 PM   #1 
GemRising

Walmart Bettas

What happens to the Betas that do not get purchased? Do they flush them?
GemRising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 04:53 PM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

No. They sit on the shelves until they die or are purchased.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 05:11 PM   #3 
PetMania

Don't forget. If they don't get purchased soon, they don't get fed. They only feed them when they get there. I heard a few employees talking about policies.
PetMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 05:46 PM   #4 
GemRising

That's terrible. The walmart near me is a dirty, poorly run store even outside of the fish section. Their aquariums look as if they don't get cleaned ever, and you can clearly see the fish are sick. Which would deter buyers.

I am not fish expert. I am just a beginner. Paul is my first fish aside from three goldfish I had when I was like 5 that I won at a carnival. I only know the names of a few species. The last time I was at the walmart, there was a dead fish of some sort. I don;t know what species, but it was rotting in a 10 or 15 gallon tank with no less than 10 other fish in there. THe corpse was being consumed by a literal hoard of some kind of catfish. It was terrifying. Not somethng I would want my child to see.

My place it too small, but if I had a bigger one, I would get a 25 gallon and divide it so I could buy more of their bettas. When I got paul, his tiny cup was so cloudy. He was frisky though. Still is..even more so... He is a comedian. I don;t regret getting him. Even if he turned out to be really sick. I don't think I would regret it.
GemRising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 06:37 PM   #5 
PetMania

Every time I go to Wal-mart, it's a fish hobbyist nightmare. Dead, decaying fish EVERYWHERE. Don't even get me started on the goldfish tanks.
The bettas are put on the shelves or in the sinks at my Wal-Marts, and they are rarely cleaned. Same thing with PetCo.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:53 PM   #6 
MsAqua

Walmarts do not care for their fish at all (at least all the ones I've been to). The fish are lucky to get fed at all. Hence why I picked up Diablo. He was such a pretty fish and I didn't want to subject him to the same death they all get. Literally, that's what they do, sit in those cups and slowly die.
Our Walmart had tons of fish with pop eye and so many other problems. And they leave them there for all the little kids to see. I hate it.
One day, in fact, it was a couple days before I finally purchased/saved Diablo. Among the other bettas he was with, one had passed away and was just floating in its cup. An employee come over and goes, fish fish anyone? We told him no and instead told him that there is a betta fish there that is dead and has been all day (I had been there at like 6:30 in the morning after work and then later that evening). He goes no, I think he's just sleeping. I wanted to smack the idiot. I was like no, he has been floating there dead since I came in this morning after work. The guy looks at me and goes oh. Would you guys like to sign the death certificate? He ticked me off so much. Everytime I go there, I just want to snatch up all of the fish because they are not fit to have any of them. If you can't care for them properly, you shouldn't be allowed to sell them.
I know that it's not fair that I have only chosen one fish and left the others to die, I know.....it hurts to do it. But I don't have the money or tanks to take care of them all. And I honestly don't want to snatch up all the bettas then have to leave them in those awful cups. I hate going to Walmart anymore because I always, always have to go to the pet section and always see the horrors in those tanks and those cups.
Sure, their bettas won't be in the best of shape, but buying them is pretty much like rescuing the poor things.
MsAqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 06:59 PM   #7 
PetMania

I saw this one betta who had no fins and body rot, ammonia burns, and a bit of ich. I was going to take him home, but my dad didn't let me. He's most likely (surely) dead now.
But hey, that's what i do. I see the pain in their eyes and try to help them. Especially after a widespread PetCo disease took my precious Bloo.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:31 PM   #8 
Chachi

I am so glad my local Walmart doesn't sell bettas!
Chachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:36 PM   #9 
PetMania

You're lucky Chachi! I would use a Star Wars reference right now, but for the first time I can't think of anything.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:38 PM   #10 
Chachi

If they did have them I would have to avoid them for fear of taking them all home!! My husband seems to think I have enough! LOL
Chachi is offline   Reply With Quote