Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-29-2009, 10:49 AM   #1 
tales

New Member with a few Questions!

Hi All,

My son won a few feeder goldfish at Coney Island & as expected they aren't doing well. We lost one & the other is getting big fast. We are going to release him in a lake that has goldfish.

I'm thinking about getting my son a Betta.
My questions: we bought a 2.5 nano i read the FAQ & want to know if this tank is big enough?

I have a few filters, im wondering if i should setup a 10g for the Betta's, Are they happy with others of different sex or different species or do they do better alone?

Would one do well in the 2.5g?

I know about testing water from keeping corals in the past. But not much about FW fish.

I didn't use filters only skimmers in a sump. I see Bettas don't like a lot of water movement, unlike corals that need a high water flow.

Corals require very high lighting, pristine water, & a stable temperature using chillers. To name a few.

Any advice on a tank & filter for Betta/s would be greatly appreciated.

A few pics of my Zoanthids.

Last edited by tales; 08-29-2009 at 10:52 AM.
tales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 10:55 AM   #2 
MrVampire181

Oh wow. My bro and friend would be drooling over those things (they're saltwater, I'm freshwater ;P)

Bettas can live alone or with other fish. But it's best that they're kept alone.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 11:30 AM   #3 
sumsum

Ya bettas are happier alone usualy Mr. McFish And Speedy ar in 2.5 gallon tanks and they are very happy.=)
sumsum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 11:39 AM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to FishForum. Bettas are better off living by themselves, as others have said. A 2.5 gallon is fine for your betta. Your corals are beautiful! You can post your saltwater questions in the saltwater part of the forums. There are a lot of friendly, knowledgeable people there that can help you.:)
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 12:52 PM   #5 
ChrisPerson

Years ago I had a Betta in a 10g community tank with White Clouds which are reputed to be non-agressive fish. Maybe they weren't aggressive, but they sure thought my Bettas fins were neat and seemed to want to eat them. :P
ChrisPerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 12:58 PM   #6 
tales

@ MrVampire181 "Oh wow. My bro and friend would be drooling over those things"
Thanks, some are very rare & highly toxic. Its the plain ones that are highly sorted by collectors. Thanks, for the link.

@ sumsum, Im glad "Mr. McFish And Speedy" are very happy in a 2.5g. I'll give it a try.

@ dramaqueen. Thanks, for the welcome & compliment of my Zoas. I have some research to do on Bettas as you can tell.

"You can post your saltwater questions in the saltwater part of the forums. There are a lot of friendly, knowledgeable people there that can help you.:)"

I have researched reef tanks for many years, along with dozens of hours at seminars with some of the best reef keeper's in the country.
Im sure there are many knowledgeable reef Keepers here. I took a look at the coral forum & maybe i can give some helpful advice.

Ill post a few more Zoo picks there.

Thanks!

Last edited by tales; 08-29-2009 at 01:00 PM.
Old 08-29-2009, 01:49 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm sorry if I seemed like I was assuming you didn't know about corals and stuff when I mentioned about the saltwater part of the forum.
Old 08-29-2009, 02:11 PM   #8 
tales

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
I'm sorry if I seemed like I was assuming you didn't know about corals and stuff when I mentioned about the saltwater part of the forum.
Sorry! i didn't mean it that way. I have done a lot of research & thats a drop in the bucket of what i know, we are learning more each day. We just have to share our experiences with others. Most LFS will mislead us, they don't want us to succeed they will go out of business!

That why i'm asking about Betta's here, i have very little trust in LFS
Old 08-29-2009, 02:44 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

Its great that you have done so much research. A lot of people don't. They just jump right in and don't know what they are doing.Yeah, LFS's don't know what they are talking about when they give advice. But thats what this forum is for, for us to share with each other and learn from each other.
Old 08-29-2009, 03:05 PM   #10 
loppy656

bettas dont need that mush space and only one filter is needed. boys need to be separated and a boy and a girl only go with each other if you want them to mate. tow girls roughly the same size ushaly work well together. betta fish are known to be the esest fish to take care of and can be housed in a vace with floers in it
loppy656 is offline   Reply With Quote