Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-06-2013, 07:58 PM   #1 
BlackCanary

Exclamation Possible sick betta please help

So I rescued a betts fish from Walmart 3 days ago when I put him in his tank he was very active exploring around now he's always in his plant not active or very responsive when I swish my finger around in the water to me he eats the food I give him I don't think they ever fed him at walmart (he was the only fish with clear water all the other bettas had pinkish water from over feeding them flakes)
I'm really worried I've lost 3 bettas all 3 lethargic not very active before they passed so that's made me Paranoid I'm not sure if I'm over reacting or if something is really wrong

He is in a 3 gallon tank with heater
Water temp is 78
No filter
100% water changes once a week
I feed NLS pellets 6-10a day once a day
No airstone
I use prime 6drops +stress coat+ 6 drops
I don't have a water test kit so I don't know what every thing is bit I did have my water tested at Petco and they said everything tested fine

I noticed he has a little bit of red in his body by the base of his tail and on his body(he's a light yellow and what looks like black scales on the sides of his body) so I don't think the red is part of his coloring which worries me I'm not sure if I'm over reacting or if something is wrong
Oh and when I came home the other day the thermometer on his tank (he has one if the thermometers that stick on the out side of the tank) read 82 but when I stuck my hand in the water it felt a little warm to me which freaked me out and I lowered the temp on the heater so I'm not sure if that had anything to do with anything I just really don't want him to die please help me figure this out
BlackCanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:21 PM   #2 
BlackCanary

i noticed today he is olny using one of his pectoral fins he keeps the other one pressed up to his body
Old 10-07-2013, 12:46 PM   #3 
MyBettaJack

I hope someone jumps on and help you with this, because I'm very new at all this fish stuff. I just wanted to ask, did you get all 3 betta's that passed at Walmart?
MyBettaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:10 PM   #4 
BlackCanary

No i actually got them at petco the first one died after a couple weeks the second one died after
after like 4 days and the 3rd fish died not even 2 days later so im done with petco fish for now and i hope someone helps me soon too if hes sick i would lime to treat him asap
Old 10-07-2013, 01:26 PM   #5 
NeptunesMom

Can you post a picture? Red can mean a lot of things. It can be a sore, a burn, coloring, etc..

I have never used Prime (although I do have it on hand). What is your ammonia levels in your tap water without the Prime added? I have heard if the ammonia level is zero Prime can cause problems for fish. I've heard the only time to use it is if your having ammonia problems. That is just from reading posts on here though, and not from my own experiences.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:27 PM   #6 
MyBettaJack

Oh, no, I'm so sorry. I'm new to this forum but I'm trying to see if there's anyone online right now that can help you. I don't see a reason why you cant start him on something! I'm gonna look into it some and see what you might be able to give him until someone helps. Trust me, I know it's stressful to see him this way...hang on.....
Old 10-07-2013, 01:28 PM   #7 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyBettaJack View Post
Oh, no, I'm so sorry. I'm new to this forum but I'm trying to see if there's anyone online right now that can help you. I don't see a reason why you cant start him on something! I'm gonna look into it some and see what you might be able to give him until someone helps. Trust me, I know it's stressful to see him this way...hang on.....
NEVER treat a fish without knowing (at least with a pretty good idea) what is wrong.
Old 10-07-2013, 01:34 PM   #8 
MyBettaJack

What's his breathing like, any silver areas or whiteness around his gills? I think the first step might be to change the water and see if that perks him up any. Neptunesmom is right about ammonia. I use prime but only because I'm cycling a 5 gallon tank and my ammonia levels are fluctuating. Are you using the same equipment, tank, etc that the others died in? If so, did you sterilize everything before putting another fish in? I'm just throwing stuff out there hoping we can figure it out. GOOD LUCK!
Old 10-07-2013, 06:04 PM   #9 
BlackCanary

ok i just got home from work and when i checked on him he looked like he was shaking(not sure how else to describe it) he is in the same tank that 2 of the 3 fish died in i took out the plant(silk) his hidaway and washed them and the tank in hot water(the hottest water from my tap) the guy at the pet store said that it should be fine to use the tank and everything in it i just looked at him and he does have white on his gills a iridescent type white and he has that white on the base of his tail by his body and it looks like some of his scales on the side of his body by his tail are white he also has some faint red on his tail by his body and a faint red streak going down his tail(hes a crown tail) im gonna do a full water change i have aq salt should i use that in the water change ? whatdo you think is going on with him
Old 10-07-2013, 06:09 PM   #10 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCanary View Post
ok i just got home from work and when i checked on him he looked like he was shaking(not sure how else to describe it) he is in the same tank that 2 of the 3 fish died in i took out the plant(silk) his hidaway and washed them and the tank in hot water(the hottest water from my tap) the guy at the pet store said that it should be fine to use the tank and everything in it i just looked at him and he does have white on his gills a iridescent type white and he has that white on the base of his tail by his body and it looks like some of his scales on the side of his body by his tail are white he also has some faint red on his tail by his body and a faint red streak going down his tail(hes a crown tail) im gonna do a full water change i have aq salt should i use that in the water change ? whatdo you think is going on with him
We really need a picture. White can be a lot of things. Post a picture and then we can tell you whether or not AQ salt is the appropriate treatment.