Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-26-2009, 02:13 PM   #1 
Rotten

Cories+Betta+Glofish+Snail+5 Gallons?

I'm setting up a 5 gallon tank right now, with a heater, sponge filter, etc., hoping to get it cycled soon, so my Betta (1 inch long) can move in before vacation. (erp!) Anyways, my plans are to introduce him first, then when I get back bring in these fish:
  • 1-2 Cories/ Ghost or Cherry Shrimp, as cleaners
  • A few small GloFish
  • A Cleaner snail
Will that be too much? The tank will be heavily planted (3 tall plants, 2 short ones) and has a gravel substrate (the Petsmart employee insited that sand was bad for the fish and the Cories would be fine with gravel, its pea gravel so not to big). I'm hoping that all the fish will get along and not stress the tank out to much.
Rotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 02:38 PM   #2 
RoseyD

definitely too much! a 5 gallon can have a divider and hold 2 bettas. but, it's maxed with two (2" adult size fish). Now, talking bettas - the males especially are territorial and won't take kindly to other moving critters in their 'home' space. Those cories (which in a larger tank will be well loved) ... 5 gallons - their zippy behavior is going to freak your poor betta out. If the betta doesn't kill the cories, then the cories will stress out the poor betta. 5 gallons is not as big as you think it is.

I'll give you an example... imagine you're about 50 years old, and used to having your own space. you don't much like people coming to visit, actually - you prefer your own space to the point that you don't ask anyone to visit and hope that the neighbors don't notice your little house hidden behind all the trees. (Now, that 50 year old - is your betta) - now, imagine that suddenly the neighbors grandkids move into the neighborhood and decide they not only like to play in the grandparents' yard, but also in your yard... and, not only that, but they make themselves comfortable in the 50 year old loner's kitchen, bedroom and bath... without knocking... or asking. Now those visiting grandkids of the neighbors - well those are your cories.

You think the betta will get used to them? Or wish them gone already?

Now - don't get me wrong - communities 'can sometimes' work. yes siree. But not too often with betta males in 5 gallon tanks. (In a ten gallon - possibly, but a lot depends on the personality of your betta. In a 20 gallon - you'd even improve your chances... )

I hope this will give up your hope of risking these fish, thinking that your betta boy really wants company. Trust me - he doesn't.
RoseyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 05:19 PM   #3 
AngelicScars

To break it down, a 5 gallon isn't a community tank for anything. If you want that many fish you should go with a 10-20 gallon tank.
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 05:51 PM   #4 
RoseyD

goodness... ! the difference between wordy and brevity.

I went into the emotional angst of the fish ... how it feels... what it thinks...

and then there's ... yours, Angelicscars - 'No - get a bigger tank.' (I got quite a giggle -thanks for the simpler translation.) :D

In my long 'monologue' I did say it, I swear...
RoseyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 06:37 PM   #5 
AngelicScars

Bahaha! Nah, I know you had a great explanation! I just wanted to say I agree and break it down. I'm just lazy sometimes. :P
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 06:38 PM   #6 
doggyhog

Nope, waaay to much!!! At the most, I would add a few ghost shrimp. (4-5)
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 07:01 PM   #7 
dr2b

Definitely wayyyy to many fish for 5 gallons!
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 08:04 PM   #8 
Rotten

Ok, well, the Person at Petsmart was wrong... I had a feeling that was to much.

What about just him and a few Glofish? I just don't want him to be alone, he gets really bored.
Rotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 08:13 PM   #9 
Vikki81207

I would say a few glofish or a few ghost shrimp
Vikki81207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 08:15 PM   #10 
dr2b

Bettas are solitary fish - they honestly don't mind being alone. But I know nothing about Glofish, so I'm leaving that to someone else.
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote