Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-07-2013, 07:40 AM   #1 
MichelleA

Nutrafin Cycle Question

Im on my second day of using Nutrafin Cycle and the Nitrates are at 20ppm and the Nitrites are between 1 and 3ppm. I should still do a water change as well as add the day 3 amount of this product to my tank right? Not sure what the ammonia is but itll be ready in about 4 minutes lol
MichelleA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:53 AM   #2 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Are there fish in that tank? If so, change water until nitrite is below 0.25ppm. Same for ammonia.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:44 PM   #3 
MichelleA

Yes should I not be using this with fish!?
Old 10-08-2013, 06:18 AM   #4 
Hallyx
Reference Team

It's fine to use with fish. But you still have to manage your water. <0.25ppm ammonia or nitrite.

That's really not the best treatment for speeding up the cycle, if that's what you hope to do.
Old 10-08-2013, 04:24 PM   #5 
MichelleA

oh lol yes I was. I did do a water change the other day when i asked, I thought thats what it was for? Wow lol I feel dumb
Old 10-09-2013, 07:32 AM   #6 
Hallyx
Reference Team

There are two kinds of nitrifying bacteria. Cycle has heterotrophic, which dissolves gunk and builds a biofilm that gives the real bacteria (autotrophic) something to attach to.

It has a long shelf-life, which indicates it's not live bacteria. It helps speed up the cycle. But you still have to wait for the bacteria to fall out of the sky into your tank.

Look for a product that says on the bottle that it has Nitrosomonas and Nitrospira (or Nitrobacter). These are the bacteria that perform the nitrogen cycle.

Tetra Safestart, ATM Colony, API Quickstart, Niteout work fine if you get them fresh. Check the sell-by date. My favorite is Dr Tim's One-and-Only, which is shipped fresh from the factory in an insulated container. So it's most likely to get to your tank fresh and healthy. It's the most expensive of the bunch.

Last edited by Hallyx; 10-09-2013 at 07:35 AM.