Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-09-2013, 02:37 PM   #21 
AGUILAR3

If you do a poll, you would notice that most have large tanks and that's only because they have a few bettas. Those that have 5+ fish will more than likely not have a string of 10g tanks anywhere in their house.

Yes, there are always exceptions to the rule with hobbyist that do have multiple large divided and individual tanks but they are in the minority.
AGUILAR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 04:02 PM   #22 
shannonpwns

Well, for my fish, I have a 20 gallon sorority with 7 females, a 5 gal with one female, three 2.5 gallons each with a male betta, and two 1.5 gallons with a male in each. And then a 10 gallon with 200 or so fry, soon to be split in two tens once my new stand gets here.
shannonpwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 05:29 PM   #23 
bambijarvis

Most breeders will have smaller tanks.
Pet owners who have their own homes will generally have community tanks or divided larger tanks.
Those who live with their parents/have space limitations will generally have a 5 gallon or less, or do a divided ten(they fit so well on top of dressers~)

But is varies a lot by person. ^^ Same as color/tail preferences or tank mates vs no tank mates.
bambijarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 05:44 PM   #24 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I'm a breeder and all of mind get 2.5g+. Soon I'm going to try some planted gallon jars, though.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:42 PM   #25 
AGUILAR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
I'm a breeder and all of mind get 2.5g+. Soon I'm going to try some planted gallon jars, though.
how many male bettas get 2.5g and larger tanks?
Old 10-09-2013, 08:02 PM   #26 
jaysee
Reference Team

"Not having room" is not a justification for keeping them in small tanks. Either it's okay or it's not. If you think it is, fine - own it and don't make excuses for it. Excuses imply that you know it's not right. Also, saying that you have too many fish to keep them in larger tanks is the same. Actually worse, because you're saying that you are chosing your desire to have more fish over the fish's need for a larger tank. Again, don't make excuses for it - own it if that's what you believe. And please please PLEASE don't take it personally when others don't agree. We all have our own opinions... such is life.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:20 PM   #27 
LittleBettaFish

I agree Jaysee. I never understand what these threads are about. If you are confident in the level of care you provide for your fish you shouldn't need to justify it. I don't justify how I keep my fish to anyone even though I know there may be others out there in the community who would do things differently.

As an aside I have never owned a tank under 3.5 gallons that fish were kept permanently in. This includes when I had over 20 tanks and tubs I was maintaining. I find racks are great at providing a lot of space in a small area.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:44 PM   #28 
AGUILAR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
I never understand what these threads are about

I think the original poster is implying that some members are tired of participating in certain topics only to be pestered and made to feel like their way of fish keeping is wrong an cruel. Yes, its easy to ignore a comment here or there but it eventually gets old.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:49 PM   #29 
megaredize

well sometimes i have noticed a person ask for help because they think their betta is sick but once it comes out that the betta is only in a 1.5 gallon tank no one helps the person with the actual problem with the fish they just get lectured on how small the tank is and if they are taking care of that small tank properly and it is heated then the size has nothing to do with why the betta is sick and the person never gets help. Ive seen that happen a few times long ago. it doesnt seem to happen anymore which is good.

My betta is in a 2.5 gallon tank and i lvoe the tank and have plans for it and I even have my fiance willing to buy my a larger tank but i dont want it or need it. I like my fish on my desk where i can see him often.
megaredize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:52 PM   #30 
Chachi

I keep my bettas in tanks ranging from 1 gallon to 2.5 gallons. I don't feel guilty about it and I don't think it's cruel. They have clean water, the best possible food and seem very happy!

Would they be happier in a bigger tank? I have no idea....I'm not a fish! Would *I* be happier in a 20,000 square foot mansion? Heck yes! But I am just fine in my smaller house. :) I figure my fish are a heck of a lot better off than 95% of the bettas that get taken home from pet stores and stuck in a little bowl, never to be paid attention to again!
Chachi is offline   Reply With Quote